Do deaf people work?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Laura B.
    Participant
    What do deaf people do to earn a living? I rarely see deaf people in my corporate role, in retail or service industry roles, or anywhere else.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura B., Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 50, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : IT, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cathy
    Participant
    Deaf people can definitely work. I think it's more along the lines of what field. if a deaf person can read lips and speak, then they can lead almost normal lives. I've had several coworkers who were deaf and could read lips and speak so well you wouldn't have known they were deaf until they told you. And for those that can't, I know here on the First Coast there is the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind. I'm sure for those people being a teacher at a specialty school for deaf children, or something along those lines, is an option.

User Detail :  

Name : Cathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : financial service representative, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Michele-D
    Participant
    Millions of deaf residents in our country work! That is one great thing about diversity: you can find deaf people working in jobs such as data entry, as a cashier in a store and also as educators, readers to the blind, etc.. Also you might consider that many deaf people today are getting cochlear implants, which allow them to hear in our hearing world. They are still considered deaf even with a cochlear implant.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele-D, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

M. Chester
    Participant
    In my country, a developing country, it is hard for Deaf persons to get good JObs. This mainly because of a poor education system for the Deaf. Most Deaf persons I know have low paying Jobs such as cleaners.

User Detail :  

Name : M. Chester, Gender : M, City : Georgetown, State : NY Country : Guyana, Occupation : Project Coordinator/ Sign language Interpreter, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

danis
    Participant
    Deaf people do anything hearing people can do - except hear. yes, we work. culturally Deaf, those who communicate by sign, are only 1% of the population, and deaf, those with severe hearing loss who don't sign, are only another 1-2%, so you may just not see us. older Deaf were pushed into certain jobs - printers, for men, and seamstresses for women. those jobs tend to be behind the scenes. i know many Deaf who work in government jobs - IRS or post office - at least partly because they *can* get hired by the government without discrimination, but not so easily elsewhere. and some, of course, end up at Deaf schools or teaching sign language. and yes, there are Deaf and deaf workers out there who might not seem so to you. from a janitor who barely interacts with the public, to an accountant who sees clients one on one professionally, how do you imagine deaf/Deafness shows? i'm a social worker who has some hearing and signs also. i tell all my clients how to communicate with me, and it works just fine. some Deaf/deaf can voice, some wear hearing aids or cochlear implants, some use the Deaf/deaf nod, some read lips. depending on what communication is taking place, unless you're with Deaf working with Deaf, you might never see a 'sign'.

User Detail :  

Name : danis, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Disability : Deaf, Race : cajun [mixed], Religion : Jewish, Age : 50, City : cinci, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : social worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

KaylaL
    Missouri Department of Agriculture, A sports equipment store, General Motors, teacher, counselor for the mentally ill, making bumper stickers and of course all of my ASL teachers. So my answer is yes Deaf people work.

User Detail :  

Name : KaylaL, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : St. Augustine, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.