Do couples start looking alike after a while?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

AndyR
    Participant
    My wife and I were in an elevator and another lady asked had we been married for a long time because we looked like each other. Do people really start looking the same after many years of marriage?

User Detail :  

Name : AndyR, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 57, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JaneNova
    I don't think couples mold into each other's appearance. I think from the start, we subconsciously choose partners that look like one. My fiance (who I am marrying tomorrow, by the way) and I kind of look alike. We are the same height, we have exactly the same body type, we have similar facial features... so yeah. We've noticed this in other couples as well.

User Detail :  

Name : JaneNova, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Anita
    Participant
    Also, I feel it's being in the same environment: for years, the two of you eat the same basic food, are exposed to the same chemicals (for good or bad), have the same stresses (family, finances and sharing problems from work, etc.). So, one's surroundings and life story run much the same path, helping to make the couple more alike in the long run.

User Detail :  

Name : Anita, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

RachelHall
    I myself have wondered that for many years. I am married now and when I first met my husband we could not believe all the things we had in common. It went from one end of the spectrum to the other, broad to narrow. So do we tend to "mold" into one another, I don't know but it is something definetly worth looking into. I am blonde my husband has black hair so in that category no we don't but we like alot of the same stuff, have some of the same qualities, and enjoy watching most of the same shows. Rachel Hall

User Detail :  

Name : RachelHall, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Flint, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

RaphaelS.
    I lean toward thinking that people generally choose as long-term partners someone that already favors them in looks. I also agree that when you are very compatible, you tend to spend a lot of time together, do similar things, and eat the same things -- so this would also cause you to look more alike. My wife and I have been together for five and a half years. She is of German-Irish descent and has bright red hair and fair skin. I am of African and Native American descent and have medium-dark skin. However, if you were to totally disregard our hair and skin color, you would see that our other physical features are very similar. We both have large, sort of pointy noses, high cheekbones, and big heads. We are almost exactly the same height (she's taller by a little less than half an inch), we are both very slender in build, and both of us have big feet. I suspect that when we have kids, it will be hard to figure out which one of us they look like. LOL

User Detail :  

Name : RaphaelS., Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Web Developer, Social class : Middle class, 

NadineT.
    Participant
    I've read that it has to do with partners imitating one another. When you care about someone, you're empathetic to them and their feelings, so you mimic their expressions. I can't explain it very well, but here's an article on it. :] http://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/11/science/long-married-couples-do-look-alike-study-finds.html

User Detail :  

Name : NadineT., Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unsure, Age : 18, City : South Shore, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.