Do close hugs offend women?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Allan
    Participant
    Are women wary of hugging a non-boyfriend guy friend so that their chest is squeezed against his? I can get away with avoiding this issue because I'm a bit taller than most women, and I have to bend slightly to hug them. I guess I'm wondering how fuzzy the line of showing affection is with women. Do you generally not hug a guy closely if you don't know him very well, and then more closely once you do?

User Detail :  

Name : Allan, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Marquette, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

JB21112
    Participant
    I am a young woman who is a Christian and can tell you that my views on this subject have changed since I became a Christian. 'Full body' hugging is off-limits (for me) with anyone other than my husband or family. I think that to hug a man like that, it naturally creates desire for him. Men are more easily aroused than women, and women should be conscious of this fact.

User Detail :  

Name : JB21112, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 24, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

SR28452
    Participant
    It doesn't really matter who I am hugging - I like hugs to be close and tight. When someone gives me one of those only-shoulders-touching with the quick pat-on-the-back hug, it makes me feel like I have cooties.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28452, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

GARY
    While I agree that close hugs can create a desire in men, I don't agree with the implication that refraining from close hugging will discourage desire. Men are visually stimulated. That being the case, we have at times the ability to 'imagine scenarios,' in the words of Hannibal Lecter, even without contact. These scenarios can sometimes be so vivid that physical reactions can occur even though physical contact does not. In my case, I like close hugs and I think the original question is a great one. I have often wondered about this myself. Feeling another woman's breasts during a close hug adds to the vividness of the fantasy. Something I think is healthy and safe as long as it remains just a fantasy.

User Detail :  

Name : GARY, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Jewish, Age : 38, City : Los angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Pilar
    I don't get offended by a close hug. I think it depends on the woman. But I have also noticed something that has to do with culture or upbringing: In every picture of my Caucasian friend with her arm around a guy, her arm is around him, but the rest of her body is sticking out, not touching his at all. I tease her and call it, 'The White Girl hug.' I don't think it's all Caucasians, though, just the way you were raised. In my culture, when you greet someone, you kiss them on the cheek and give them a hug. It's just like a hand shake and doesn't mean anything else. I was taught that closeness was a way of being polite, and I've always done it without thinking.

User Detail :  

Name : Pilar, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Annique-Elise G.
    Participant
    I'm a 22-year-old university student with a lot of male friends. I find that platonic affection is just as 'huggy' as in any other relationship. Of course, hugging closely will mean your chest is pressed against his, but because both's feelings are platonic, I see no reason we shouldn't demonstrate our mutual and platonic affection. If your best friend is male, as mine is, and you share a bond, what better way to demonstrate that than through a genuine, warm and affectionate hug?

User Detail :  

Name : Annique-Elise G., Gender : F, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : n/a, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Beth23217
    Participant
    First, I'm trying to figure out what being a Christian has to do with hugging a man with your chest against his. I mean Jesus said 'Love thy neighbor', not 'Hug thy neighbor but don't let your bodies touch.' Second, how does this writer know that by holding a man in an embrace he is going to have a sexual reaction? Has she completed a survey of 100 men by hugging them and watching where their hands go or checking for increased heart rate? I mean, a hug is a perfect way to say hello or goodbye or thanks. If you're going to hug, hug them tight. But you can't go around pressing your boobs against everyone you meet. Get serious.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth23217, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : administrative assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Beth23209
    Participant
    I agree with the posting mentioning the 'cootie factor.' I have a friend who is male. When we meet, we generally haven't seen each other for at least a month. We're both married, but I consider him a very good friend. He tends to do the 'shoulder hug,' where just our very upper bodies meet. I don't have any romantic feelings for him, I just want to show him that I appreciate him by holding him close and having him hold me close. Even if only for a second or two. Tight full-body hugs do not mean you want to have sex, only that you want to feel appreciated.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth23209, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashley23511
    Participant
    I dont even think about it I always give big hugs I dont find anything sexual about being hugged tight it just makes you feel close to someone.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley23511, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

husna
    I totally disagree with the rest of the ladies. Exept for the one person who states that men's desires are aroused. I believe you should not hug any guy where your privates, even if clothed, are touching a male. If a guys hand is on a girls breast she will have a cow. But what is the difference if all he has to do is give her a 'friendly' hug, and he can feel both of her breasts against his chest, on top of that her arms are nice and raised to reach around him so her breasts are more lifted! NO. I dont think its right. Guys only look at you 2 ways. Either you are like a sister, or cousin to them, OR you are a 'girl' maybe a potential girlfriend. If anyone disagrees with that statement then let me ask, 'what other way can a guy possible look at you? ' You are either non sexual to him.. like his mother, sister, daughter. Or you are a sexual being, someone he may or may not fantasize about.!

User Detail :  

Name : husna, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 25, City : san francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : full time student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Emily
    Participant
    I love to give hugs. When I give someone a hug, I am not concerned with whether my breasts are against a persons chest or not. It is a natural part of the human body and hugging is a good thing. I agree with the person that said 'half-hugs' make you feel like you have cooties. Give the damn hug and get over it. Enjoy it for what it is, not what some weirdo hopes it is.

User Detail :  

Name : Emily, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Huron, State : SD Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.