Do blind people have dreams?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

LF
    Participant
    I have wondered for a long time if people who are blind from birth have dreams. If so, what do they dream about? People who have all their senses have dreams and nightmares. They experience images, sounds, tactile sensations, etc. Do blind people dream images? Sounds? Physical sensations? Also, what mental images are formed in a blind person's mind when he or she hears about colors? How do they differentiate 'blue sky' or 'green grass'?

User Detail :  

Name : LF, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Agnostic, Age : 50, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Information Technology, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Steph D.
    Participant
    My Uncle has been 100% blind since he was five. He can see in his dreams. He said most of the people he has spoken to at Texas Commission for the Blind events who have been blind since birth do not see in thier dreams.

User Detail :  

Name : Steph D., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jakki
    Yup, blind people do have dreams. In fact, everybody dreams. If you didn't dream, you'd go absolutely insane. It's something your mind needs. I don't think people who have been blind from birth dream -images,- because there have been people who are blind from birth, get an operation to gain sight, and are unable to function with that sight because they haven't developed it. They do hear and feel in their dreams though, just as we do.

User Detail :  

Name : Jakki, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 18, City : Oshkosh, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mahala
    Participant
    I became friends with a young woman who has been blind since birth. She tells me about her dreams sometimes, just like sighted people do in conversations with friends. From what I can gather, her dreams are just like ours, except for one thing: she doesn't see anything. For her, it's not unusual. I mean, she can't see anything in the day. She feels sensations in her dreams, and she is in situations in her dreams. In dreaming, she relies on the same senses she does when she is not - feelings, hearing, etc. As for color, she associates concepts with them. For instance, 'green' for her is a good thing because it is associated with a country she loves -Ireland. While she was growing up, her family helped her know what colors certain things are. She knows the grass is green and that the sky is usually blue because that is what she has been told. She also asks friends for descriptions of people, including hair and eye colors. Color does not have the same meaning it holds for a sighted person, but she is aware of it.

User Detail :  

Name : Mahala, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White, Native American/ American Indian, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Freeport, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lindsay22717
    Participant
    Several people in my family have RP, a degenerative eye disease that gradually decreases perephial vision. My mom has only been diagnosed 'legally blind' for a few years, and before that her sight was still limited to some degree, but she knows what things 'should' look like, and often sees full vision in her dreams. I think it's about 50/50, actually.

User Detail :  

Name : Lindsay22717, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.