Do Jews own the Holocaust?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

MAtt MArtinson
    Participant
    I am a white gentile 31 years old. I have my BA in European History and a MAster's in Holocaust Studies. I speak German and Yiddish. I have studied the Holocaust in Denmark, and Germany, as well as visited over twenty camps. I have $70,000 in student loans, and have been trying to get a job teaching/studying the effects of hate and intolerance for three years, and I cant even get an interview. I have applied to numerous positions at the ADL, AJC, Weisenthal center, the Holocaust Museum in DC as well as dozens of other places. I was always taught to become the best at what your gifts are, and that life is based on individual experiences not stereotypes, but after all this, I have no choice to feel that my race is why I cant get a job in my field. Do some Jews feel like they own the Holocaust? Am I ever going to 'Break in?' I could have gotrten a well paying job with computers, but that means nothing to me and I wouldnt have the fulfilling feeling that I have when Im teaching/studying Holocaust related material. Are there any Jews out there that have any comment? Im about to give up and go jump in a lake.

User Detail :  

Name : MAtt MArtinson, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Hollywood, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Museum registrar, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I'm Jewish. Although Catholics were also persecuted & killed by the Nazis, due to thousands of years of anti-semitism, many Jews don't trust that gentiles really understand the feelings involved. Maybe you can do something online where it doesn't matter what your religion or background is. Here in St. Louis, more of the Reform temples are involved in interfaith outreaches. Perhaps you can get involved in something like that where you live to make the right kind of contacts within the Jewish community. When people get to know you better, they may be more inclined to help you get what you want. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    Certainly, but most, especially younger people are less inclined to define themselves by the Holocaust. I know for a fact that the SHOAH FOUNDATION hires Gentiles in their work. You might well have to move to Los Angeles but I would try there. Also the Museum of Tolerance (also in L.A.) appears to have a more diverse hiring policy. Additionally the German government has a great interest in preserving Holocaust stories and memorabilia and might be a good place to make inquiries if you don't mind moving to Europe. Ditto the Czechs and possibly even Poland.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.