Disillusionment among church workers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mari
    Participant
    I was raised with a very idealistic view of the church, but when I began working as a church organist in my mid-teens, those ideals were shattered by some very ugly experiences in church politics. I am pursuing a career as an organist because I love the music, but my disillusionment with the church itself lingers. Is disenchantment with the church common among those who work there?

User Detail :  

Name : Mari, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, raised Methodist, Age : 20, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student/organist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

H.
    I have to echo the previous respondent who said we should look to God and not the human institution that is the church. People who go to church often forget to humble themselves before God and to remember Jesus' central teachings: Generosity and love rather than judgment toward all. I have many friends who have been turned off to religion because so many people act against God's will and try to use His name to justify their human prejudices. Perfect examples of groups exhibiting this tendency are the Ku Klux Klan and Family Research Council, which promote racism, sexism, and homophobia while claiming to be Christian groups. There are many congregations that do a better job of being true Christians in a meaningful sense, and if you look you will find a congregation that, though not perfect, is right for you. Find such a place and you can contribute the gift of music in a place that is a light unto the world, its members and its community.

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sarah28136
    Participant
    I have been brought up in many different churches, as I have moved all around the country. I have found that people will let you down wherever you go. The truth is not in the church, it is in the God whom church is about. Look to Him first and foremost, and He will never let you down. Otherwise, your "idealistic people" will shatter your dreams. I too have seen many ugly things in church, but that is the people, and many of them get too caught up in the actual church that they forget the reason they're supposed to be there. My entire family has been turned off to church, so I guess you could say it is common. But we are not turned off to God. It just takes time to find people who actually love Him, instead of power, or money or whatever else. Don't lose heart.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah28136, Gender : F, City : Rogers City, State : MI Country : United States, 

Mel W.
    Participant
    I have also experienced extreme disillusionment with churches in general. I spent most of high school dedicating lots of time and service to my local church, only to become involved in what basically amounted to a lot of ugly politics, and to find that many of my co-workers felt the same way. They didn't leave, though, because they felt dedicated to the church. I did leave because the entire situation alerted me to the fact that many people depend more on the people within the church than God. Since nobody's perfect, that's bound to cause eventual problems. My course of action was to ignore the people and focus on my reason for going to church in the first place.

User Detail :  

Name : Mel W., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Gunnison, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Brian23040
    Participant
    Disillusionment with church is probably inevitable. We usually have the highest expectations for people and institutions that touch us spiritually. And, as other writers have pointed out, people, even those with great intentions, are fallible and make mistakes. Churches get torn apart, people get hurt. The way to move forward is to accept the fact that the church is not perfect, forgive, and continue to live your faith. Too many people believe that religion should prevent conflict, and when it comes as it inevitably will, they become discouraged and run away. Instead, use conflict as a chance to strengthen faith and practice forgiveness. It's hard, but it can work.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23040, Gender : M, Religion : Methodist, Age : 48, City : Los Alamos, State : NM Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brian23041
    Participant
    Disillusionment with church is probably inevitable. We usually have the highest expectations for people and institutions that touch us spiritually. And, as other writers have pointed out, people, even those with great intentions, are fallible and make mistakes. Churches get torn apart, people get hurt. The way to move forward is to accept the fact that the church is not perfect, forgive and continue to live your faith. Too many people believe that religion should prevent conflict, and when it comes as it inevitably will, they become discouraged and run away. Instead, use conflict as a chance to strengthen faith and practice forgiveness. It's hard, but it can work.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23041, Gender : M, Religion : Methodist, Age : 48, City : Los Alamos, State : NM Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.