Different religions in marriage

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Heather-M
    Participant
    Some people are against marrying someone who isn't of the same religion. How important is that to you? I don't think it's a problem, as long as it doesn't cause conflicts in the marriage.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather-M, Gender : F, City : Prairie du Sac, State : WI Country : United States, 

Jesse-N30795
    Participant
    It depends how religious you are. If the two are 'technically' of different religions because they were brought up that way, but do not practice, nor intend to start, then really, they are of the same religion (none), and it doesn't really matter. On the other hand, if they truly are different, then in my opinion it is a serious problem. The reason is that differing religions are fundamentally different and mutually incompatible. I'm not referring to different Protestant denominations, but different faiths completely. It's not just a matter of observing different customs and holidays. There are fundamental spiritual ideas, and anyone who is serious about spirituality cannot be true to his or her own faith and allow conflicting observances in the household. As an example, in the case of a Jewish/Christian match (because this may be common), many Christians appear to think Jews are merely Christians who have not matured spiritually, but this is a belief founded in ignorance, and a Jew who allows Christian practices and rites within a marriage has abandoned the fundamental part of his spirituality.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse-N30795, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, Age : 41, City : Herzliya, State : NA Country : Israel, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

khadija
    the reason behind marrying withing the same religion is because hte bible says that two people who are going to get married should be equally yolked

User Detail :  

Name : khadija, Age : 18, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, 

Heather21482
    Participant
    I have heard this question asked many times. In my opinion it does matter. It talks in the bible about being unequally yoked. My dad was catholic and my mom was pentecostal at the time they got married. Then when I came along the question was how dow we raise her. Your beliefs are something to be shared in a marriage. What church do you go to when you both believe something different? If you don't take what you believe in seriously as a way of life then I don't think it matters if your beliefs are different. For me it is huge. I won't marry someone who doesn't believe the same as me because we would differ in many decisions. If this is something you are dealing with personally then I suggest you really pray about it. It's the rest of your life.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather21482, City : hooterville, State : CA Country : United States, 

Leo R.
    When 2 people marry, they are joining together to become '1'. At least, that is way I believe marriage was intended. If each person holds any view, especially religious faith, in opposition, it will never be possible to act as '1'. For those who merely attend church as a habit or perhaps social reasons, this doesn't create too much of a problem, however, for those who 'live' their faith, it is often the single bond that will keep them together. If they are truly faithful to their religion, they are able to work through problems using their faith and beliefs.

User Detail :  

Name : Leo R., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 38, City : Petal, State : MS Country : United States, Occupation : Administration/Purchasing, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Lynette22483
    Participant
    I would consider marrying someone of a different faith as long as they and their family didn't impose their views on me, or expect me to convert to their faith, and vice versa. One way to get around this issue is to be married on neutral territory, so there is no favortism from the beginning (families might take it personally if their church / faith is not chosen for this event.) Some churches will perform wedding ceremonies for couples of different faiths - for example the Unitarian Universalists. A couple I know stuggled with this same issue and was married in a Unitarian church, without any static from each other's families. (And usually the families are the ones that create this kind of pressure in the first place.) Another option is to have a 'duel faith ceremony' with both religions being represented and given equal time.

User Detail :  

Name : Lynette22483, Gender : F, Age : 36, City : LA, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, 

Kerry
    I think people of different religions can get along nicely in a marriage. My husband is an atheist, and I'm a Wiccan. We simply agree to disagree, and believe me, religion is the least of our differences! If we had decided to raise children, we would offer both points of view and let the child decide which was appropriate for her to follow.

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 29, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dan31653
    Participant
    There is a reason I won't marry a woman who is not on the same page with me. The word 'Christian' is my lifestyle, and I live my life fully for God, and any woman whom I would go so far as to marry would have to be my partner in this. If she does not live her life wholly for God, it's not going to work. The label 'Christian' is not a set of traditions and liturgy or some nominal religious designation, it is my way of life that I'll follow until death.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan31653, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 22, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Shannon
    Participant
    Marriage between two people of different religions - if they chose the religions for themselves and don't just belong to the religions because their families do - will always cause conflict, no matter what the two religions are. Why? Because for those who are strong in their faith, religion is the basis for the way you look at the world. If two people have different beliefs about the meaning of life and the way to please God, it would be hard to agree on how to live on a day-to-day basis. And living together on a day-to-day basis is what marriage is all about.

User Detail :  

Name : Shannon, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : York, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.