Depression sufferers?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

DavidB
    Participant
    I read the book "I Can't Believe You Asked That!" and was especially intrigued by the entry on depression by, I believe, 14-year-old Katie. I was wondering, who else suffers from depression?

User Detail :  

Name : DavidB, Gender : Male, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

BenClerk
    Participant
    I suffer from a form of depression ~ seasonal depression. For most people this would mean winters but I just HATE the summer so when summertime rolls around I get depressed. I almost decide I hate the world just because it's summertime.

User Detail :  

Name : BenClerk, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : mixed, Age : 15, City : Waldron, State : AR Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

AE
    Participant
    I read the book too and was also intrigued by Katie's entry. Mostly because I felt like I was looking in a mirror of myself three years ago. I suffer from depression, as well. Though it is not as bad as is once was, (I was put into therapy and given medication [which I no longer take] after my mom found a journal entry of mine which expressed my plans and wishes for suicide) when I am confronted with something I do not know how to deal with, I am incarcerated in a world of hopelessness, isolation and anxiety. When I am not in a depressive episode, you'd be surprised to know I am upbeat, friendly and comical. But, when I don't know how to feel, depression becomes my default. It is difficult to comprehend how non-depressed people must see the world. I also have developed a need for "someo

User Detail :  

Name : AE, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Undisclosed, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

norbertneuman
    Participant
    I did, because I thought the world would hate me for being gay. I'm still not sure how people will react, but I am no longer suicidal.

User Detail :  

Name : norbertneuman, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : mahtomedi, State : MN Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

MargaretKauser
    Participant
    I do, as does everyone in my family. It's insidious, pervasive and can potentially ruin your life. Treatment varies from person to person but talk therapy is supposed to be the best therapy. Medications can help keep you functioning in the world, and I disagree with those that criticize people for using them. Everyone responds to things differently. Marg K

User Detail :  

Name : MargaretKauser, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Depression, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 52, City : Belmont, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    tens of millions suffer from depression in the U.S. alone. I believe Prozac is one of the most common prescribed drugs in this country. You are definitely not alone, even though it feels like it. I've been on medication for depression for decades. It's not an exact science. There's been a lot of trial and error in finding the best drug(s) that work without causing side effects that I can't tolerate. It's frustrating and scary, but it's worth it when you find the right combination of meds. If you can't afford certain meds, some drug companies have special programs for low income patients. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

AlyssaE
    Participant
    Though each doctor has a different point of view, almost all that I've gone to have said that I am clinically depressed. My depression is mostly hereditary, from my father. Though he mellowed as I got older, he suffered a severe form of depression, with a possibility of bipolar disorder when I was a child. After my mother noticed that he was suicidal, she insisted he go to thereapy and receive proper treatment. He is still medicated now (he is in his forties), and the pills sober him, at the price of emotional detachment. I am much like my father, to my deepest reluctance. We share a common cynical outlook on things, often completing eachother's sentences. The most difficult part of this condition, is its invisibility. My father and I share the ability to completley conceal our emotions to breaking point, and when that breaking point is reached, those around us are quite baffled.

User Detail :  

Name : AlyssaE, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.