Darn (fill in the blank) drivers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Ashley
    Participant
    Why do some people say women are better drivers than men?

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Age : 16, City : Horicon, State : WI Country : United States, 

Adam P.
    Participant
    I am afraid I have never heard that expression or anyone say it in my entire life. From what I have seen, women are horrible drivers. They either drive so slow and cautious it takes twice as long to get anywhere, or they drive completely out of control. When I drive, it is usually above the speed limit, and I know exactly where every car is in front of me and behind me. The average woman does not. Don't bring up insurance because those figures they rely on were taken in the '50s, when almost no woman drove, so it was always men who got into accidents, whereas when I see an accident now it is usually a woman getting her insurance papers in order.

User Detail :  

Name : Adam P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : k-w, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rick29761
    Participant
    I think it's because males have higher accident rates overall, according to the insurance companies. Young, impulsive males are more likely than females to drive aggressively and take risks than are female drivers, so those guys drive up the insurance rates for the rest of us men. As far as the actual ability to control a motor vehicle, there is probably no gender difference.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29761, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ramonna
    Participant
    I have heard that statistically women are involved in fewer serious accidents than men. Women, at least in the United States, are raised to be more conciliatory and less aggressive, so they may be more courteous drivers, and that can lead to fewer accidents. It could also be that women may be more likely to have children in the car and thus may feel more of an incentive to drive carefully. All just guesses.

User Detail :  

Name : Ramonna, Gender : F, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, 

Jon27103
    Participant
    I don't know that I have ever heard that women are better drivers than men. I have heard it phrased the other way around, however. I would have to say that in my experience women are horrible drivers. I have been driving for the last six years, and all my experiences with bad drivers have been with women. Although not proven, most stereotypes reflect the truth in some manner. So there must be some truth to the statement that women can't drive.

User Detail :  

Name : Jon27103, Gender : M, City : Windsor, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Lucy22373
    Participant
    Actually, I have heard more talk about how bad women drivers are than how good they are. I think a better question would be, Why do we feel the need to make generalizations about an entire group of people based on the actions of a few?

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22373, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Graeme
    Participant
    From what I've seen, men definitely have more and larger insurance claims than women do. It's been my general experience that men may be technically better drivers than women (and I believe this is probably largely due to the 'guys like cars' thing), but women seem to be generally more careful and more courteous. When women do have accidents, the accidents are more likely to be low-speed, minor accidents.

User Detail :  

Name : Graeme, Gender : M, Age : 33, City : Johannesburg, State : NA Country : South Africa, 

Alleycat
    Participant
    I have heard the opposite. Those few people who do say women are better drivers are probably referring to the fact that young males are more prone to have accidents than young females, for the reasons stated above.

User Detail :  

Name : Alleycat, Gender : M, Race : Okinawan/White, Age : 29, City : Marietta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Driver, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Indigo21228
    Participant
    I don't trust statistics, and I also don't think one gender is better than the other at driving, but here's a hypothesis: Perhaps it's similar to what they say about exam results: that women tend to get better results because they are more conscientous, and generally more able to sit down and concentrate on things. But I'm not saying I believe this or that it's true. It's just an idea.

User Detail :  

Name : Indigo21228, Gender : F, Religion : Humanist, Age : 17, City : Aberdeen, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Abigail
    Participant
    Probably because statistically men cause 60 percent of all reported accidents. Of course, this does not include unreported ones.

User Detail :  

Name : Abigail, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Stacey
    Participant
    There are bad drivers of both genders. When I hear men, especially young ones or those who have not been driving that long, state that women are bad drivers, I just laugh. I've had equally bad experiences with male and female drivers. The accidents I've been in while a passenger have always been a result of male drivers, both in the car I'm in and the other car.

I have a fair amount of experience with bad drivers. I've noticed that men seem to be into passing on the right at speeds of more than 80 mph, even when I'm doing a healthy 70+ in the middle lane. And they hate having a woman pass them. If I'm behind a slow driver in the left lane, it usually is a woman, granted. I think a fair amount of women do tend to drive slower, but the ones I've experienced this with are women who have children in the car. But when it comes to stuff like going slow as molasses when trying to figure out where to turn, turning from the completely wrong lane, or taking up more than one lane on a multiple lane road, there does not seem to be a gender who can claim to have the responsibility for that. Perhaps men are conditioned to think women are bad drivers, but perhaps it's because women aren't as bent on showing off their testosterone and ego levels as men are. Or perhaps men drive so quickly that we don't even have time to realize it's a guy driving like a madman. Or maybe it is that there are just as many bad male drivers as there are female drivers.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 28, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Barb
    Participant
    I haven't heard that - the standard 'joke' I've always heard is that women are bad drivers. Maybe women tend to be a little more tentative, which can be dangerous (or at least annoying). Men also generally outperform women in spatial areas, so there is probably at least a slightly greater proportion of men who are good at doing things like quickly parallel parking. However, I think women are better drivers in that men are far more likely to be overly aggressive. Most road rage incidents involve men, and men - especially young men - are far more likely to speed, tailgate, etc. I think that when women are the most dangerous is when they are driving around with a carful of kids. Simply being a mother seems to have an effect on women's driving. I have a good friend who was a great driver until she had kids. I became terrified to be in a car with her. She was always distracted, if not directly by what the kids were saying or doing at the moment, then by thinking about the dozens of things she had to do. She got into several accidents by doing things like sailing right through stop signs while simultaneously looking for an address and paying too much attention to her kids. I think men are better able to focus on one thing and not allow all those distractions, so they probably do better on that score.

User Detail :  

Name : Barb, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 46, City : Reading, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Amanda31486
    Participant
    Not all women are bad drivers. I am a bit cautious, but I have a baby in the car and I am avoiding crazy teen race drivers...but the 'bad women driver's' are the ones that put makeup on while driving. But I have seen men reading while driving...that can't be good.

User Detail :  

Name : Amanda31486, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 24, City : Bradenton, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Stay at home mom, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Andrea31620
    Participant
    I am a woman. I would rather drive on a highway entirely of male drivers any day of the week. I drive a lot for my business, and for the most part, women drivers irritate me the most. I would say that i am an aggressive driver. Maybe it's because I drive in New York City a lot and you have to be to get anywhere. However, i do find that when traffic is held up, there is usually an overly caustious woman trying to switch lanes for 10 minutes. Maybe people should avoid driving in situations they are not completely comfortable in. Why get operate a deadly weapon when you are unsure how to do so effectively?

User Detail :  

Name : Andrea31620, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Legal Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Mike20373
    Participant
    Because they have no clue what they are talking about. Anyone who has spent more than a minimal amount of time behind the wheel can tell you that women are oblivious to the world around them FAR more often than men. This translates to poorer driving.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike20373, City : Augusta, State : ME Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.