Darker-skinned children?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Curious
    My fiance's mother is white and her father is black. She is very light-skinned and almost looks white. There are some distinguishing characteristics of a black woman, but she looks white. Is there a possibilty our children will have darker skin? Not that a I care, plus even if I did, it would be a little to late to care about that now - we are due in June.

User Detail :  

Name : Curious, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Mechanic, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Berto23376
    Participant
    Yes... or so I believe the answer to be. My friend is black and light-skinned, the color of butterscoth. Both of his parents are darker skinned, that is, are dark carmel colored and would never be mistaken for light-skinned blacks. His sister is carmel colored and his brother is chocolate. His grandfather is half black and half white German Jew and was 'high-yellow'. In my case, my mother is black and is deep deep dark chocolate and my father is pale Hispanic, little more than a hair darker than most white people, but not brown. I am dark chestnut. It's hard to predict these things. Your child could look very white (most likely, in my opinion) or like the mailman's son.

User Detail :  

Name : Berto23376, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Agnostic, Age : 32, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

nichole19997
    Participant
    It is just like eye color. Is her father, grandmother, aunt, etc. It reaches back in the gene pool. Yes, there is a possibility they could come out brown. My brother and I have the same parents, he is light, I am dark.

User Detail :  

Name : nichole19997, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, 

Sherman
    Participant
    Is She has black genes in her then that chances are very good that you will have a dark skinned child regardless of how you to look. Dark skinned genes are dominant and lighter skin is recessive so if those genes from her african american side are passed down to your child then the child will have dark skin. However since you aren't black and she is not entirely black those genes may not be passed on to the child at all, in which case the child will be lighter skinned.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Richmond, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Contractor, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Wayne-Coghill
    Participant
    I guess there is a possibility, but it is very, very, very unlikely.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne-Coghill, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 41, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gina21686
    Participant
    No, there is no chance that your child will be darkskinned.

User Detail :  

Name : Gina21686, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : afro-caribbean, Age : 23, City : NY, State : NY Country : United States, 

Kesha26495
    Participant
    Well for starters, congratulations on your little bundle coming soon. You know, that's a good question, but I think I would have to say that the baby won't be any darker than her. Being that you're 100% White, and she 50% White and 50% Black, you child will probably look just like her. 75/25 (follow me?) Black genes are very dominant, so she or he will probably just have some characteristics of an African-American (like Jasmine Guy probably). Very beautiful regardless. Congratulations again!

User Detail :  

Name : Kesha26495, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Randy
    It is very possible for your child to be darker than your fiancée, maybe almost the same complexion as her maternal grandfather. But a lot is riding on you, too. Are you light-skinned, blond, a redhead? My half-sister is biracial. Her husband is white (Irish/Italian). Their son is as dark as our two-black-parent mother with curly hair, while her daughters are fairer skinned with straight hair. Racial features can skip kids, and a biracial person's color can, of course, be supplemented by their sun exposure. Don't let yourself be fooled come June. The color your child is at birth may not be anything like what it will be as an adolescent. In fact, it sometimes goes "light at birth/dark for life (or vice versa)." Congratulations and good luck.

User Detail :  

Name : Randy, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Inglewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Artist/Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Zel
    I guess i look pretty much like your wife (white mother with Celtic roots, black father with Black, Carib and white roots) and my fiance is white (with Celtic and Serbian roots). He too wonders what our kids will look like. My black fathers family comes in all shades, always has done and i look forward to having children , whatever their colour and will ensure they grow up with an appreciation of how lucky they are to have such a rich cultural heritage. My dad relates a story of leaving the west indies and tracking down his grandfathers brother in Brooklyn, an old white guy with blue eyes and realizing that there is only one race, the human race. Very warm wishes and congratulations to you and your wife!

User Detail :  

Name : Zel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mixed parentage, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Worcester, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Diversity Trainer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Brandy19406
    Participant
    I'm the same race as you're fiance' and I have a son with a white man. He looks white but has very curly hair, which he got from my black side. He also tans dark. I think you're kids would probably be like that.

User Detail :  

Name : Brandy19406, City : lexington, State : KY Country : United States, 

Jonathan-S29075
    Participant
    I am a Junior bio major at a college in Illinois. When it comes to genetics, skin color is very complicated. There are many different alleles, but most likely the child will be no darker than your wife, and if the child is, it will be a very unlikely occurance. Most likely, she will give her skin traits to the baby, and you will give yours, and your wife will most likely give the skin traits that she has, not the ones that her dark parent has.

User Detail :  

Name : Jonathan-S29075, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Diana
    Participant
    um, to be honest yes! there is a very big possibility that your child will come out darker.. one of my good friends mom is black and her father white and she came out looking spanish color, but her older brother came out black..like both of his parents were black and they werent, another example; my fathers bestfriends wife was giving birth to his baby and the baby came out black, the woman was white and so was he , but his wife didnt kno that her great-grandmother was black, the baby had inherited his great-grandmothers pigment.. my daughter is mixed too, but she looks spanish..

User Detail :  

Name : Diana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : white/native indian, Age : 19, City : Ocala, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashley M.
    Participant
    It is absolutey possible that your children could be dark or medium complexion African Americans. At birth they may be extremely light (as was the case with me) and years later become darker. Physical characteristics can carry for up to 14 generations!

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley M., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 20, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Edward25587
    Participant
    So what are you saying, the woamn was good enough to lay down with because of bi-racial background. But when it comes to having babies, you want them to be all white. I don't believe it. Don't you realize that black people come in all shades, we can even look white, but our genes will always be dominate.

User Detail :  

Name : Edward25587, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 34, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Medical Insurance, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

J21100
    Participant
    I agree. Some whites are not purely blond hair blue eyes. Some whites have black blood in them from quite a while back but they do not look like they do. So if you as awhite person can only trace your ancestry so far, in other words your not purely english them you might have a gene somewhere that can pop up.

User Detail :  

Name : J21100, City : L.A, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.