Dandruff on black people?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Nik
    Participant
    Yes, black people get dandruff like everyone else. I'm black and I don't have a dandruff problem, but when I've noticed flakes, they were light beige in color. Against black clothing, they look white.

User Detail :  

Name : Nik, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Nick-F
    Participant
    Hold onto your shorts junior, here's a fact that may shake your world loose: when you look at somebody's skin, you're looking a a layer of colorless cells. The skin pigment is deeper that the surface, there isn't any right on top. When this layer dries and flakes off, it appears white.

User Detail :  

Name : Nick-F, Gender : M, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 

Nessa24279
    Participant
    Of course black people get dandruff. Our hair is comprised of the same layers as everyone else's. Therefore, we undergo the same hair transformations as every other ethnic group. Our hair is composed of tight curls, which gives some of us the 'kinky' look. That's the only difference. Oh!!! And our dandruff is white also.

User Detail :  

Name : Nessa24279, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : Bel Air, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

G.K.
    When my hair gets too dry and I don't grease it up in time,these dry white flakes pop up all over my scalp. Normally they're just light brown flakes and I used to enjoy scratching them out of my head as a youngster before I learned proper hair care, and watch them fall onto the page of the book I was reading. Of course, this meant my hair needed washing. By the way, what color is a white person's dandruff, anyway?

User Detail :  

Name : G.K., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Security Guard, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dawn-J
    Participant
    Black hair is very diverse but most of us have very small tight curls that can be difficult to manage. About dandruff, yes we get dandruff and dry skin flakes just the same. It's the color of dried skin which usually sloughs off a whitish color. You may however never see it. Black hair requires lots of moisture and it is very delicate. Many people put lots of product in their hair to try to keep it in best possible condition. The product may trap the dead skin and prevent it from falling on their shoulders.

User Detail :  

Name : Dawn-J, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Davis, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

RLS
    Yes, black people do get dandruff. Most blacks have dry scalps, so we have to keep it moisturized with hair grease and conditioners and such. As far as the color of the dandruff...I guess it's the same as anybody else's.

User Detail :  

Name : RLS, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Kansas City, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Peter
    Participant
    Are black people not human? Of course we get dandruff! As a black man, I'm more conscious about dandruff because I have short hair, as with many black men. When you have short hair, you must wash your hair more often or youll actually see the dandruff on your scalp! My sister has long hair and she gets dandruff real bad, but youll never know because she washes her hair. Im curious, what makes you think black people dont get dandruff? You must dont know many blacks or you need to diverisify your friends a little more. Dandruff is dead skin that accumulates every day on everbody's head.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Alisha
    Participant
    Yes, we do get dandruff, and it's the same dandruff color as everyone else's. Because of the texture of our hair the dandruff usually stays in our hair, instead of falling onto our clothing.

User Detail :  

Name : Alisha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Support Manager, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

ED22577
    Participant
    I have to admit, I laughed too. Yeah, black folks get dandruff, and guess what? It's white!

User Detail :  

Name : ED22577, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 48, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 

Aysha24255
    Participant
    They probably laugh because you just need to break down the question some. What is dandruff? Looking in any dictionary or encyclopedia will show that dandruff is flakes of dead skin cells that have been shed from the scalp, or from skin/hair points. So anyone, or anything, can have dandruff. No matter the race, or species. Many dogs I have owned were very prone to dandruff. What color is the dandruff? Well, what makes us have different skin colors? Looking to the former sources shows that pigment in our skin gives us color. This pigment builds up, or fades, and that's how we get a tan. So when just the tiny, top, dead layer of skin is shed, it is white. There is not the pigment in the flake to denote any certain color.

User Detail :  

Name : Aysha24255, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : Idaho Falls, State : ID Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Darby
    Participant
    Yes, black people get dandruff. The color is darker, I suppose, than it would be on whites. It is more a gray color because a black person's skin gets a grayish hue when it is very dry (which is where the term 'ashy' comes from, referring to a black person's dry skin). Most blacks put 'grease' on their scalps to avoid this, which is a common term for a hair care product, like a moisturizing gel, that is used. (In case you are wondering, I didn't know any of this, either, until I met and married a black man.)

User Detail :  

Name : Darby, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Upstate, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cris24352
    Participant
    Our dandruff looks like tar flakes. Just kidding, it's white and flakey.

User Detail :  

Name : Cris24352, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : eastpointe, State : MI Country : United States, 

JDW
    Participant
    Yes, black people get dandruff. It's white, just like yours.

User Detail :  

Name : JDW, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Angel H.
    Participant
    Yes, black people get dandruff. When it flakes, it's the same icky white stuff everyone else has.

User Detail :  

Name : Angel H., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Warner Robins, State : GA Country : United States, 

Kirby
    Participant
    The color of our skin scales (dandruff) is the same as in Caucasians. Dandruff on any human is light or white.

User Detail :  

Name : Kirby, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 37, City : Lafayette, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : CEO, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.