Cropped hair on toddler girls (newspaper column)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

KS
    I have noticed among Indian people that the little toddler-age girls very often have their hair cropped short. Why is this?

User Detail :  

Name : KS, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 47, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

SadhbhDC
    According to Hindu tradition, children of a certain age (usually a year old) have their head shaved as part of a religious ceremony.

User Detail :  

Name : SadhbhDC, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 15, City : Dublin, State : NA Country : Ireland, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

RobinW
    According to a friend of mine who owns a barbershop, a family came in to get their toddler daughter's hair cut completely off, and told him it was because her hair would grow in thicker and stronger if this was done. He replied that it would, yes, but it was because she would be older, not because her head had been shaved. Her parents discussed it with each other, but decided to go with what their families had always believed, not what this stranger said. So, although he told me it broke his heart to shave the head of this very pretty little girl, the hair came off.

User Detail :  

Name : RobinW, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 46, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.