Color relative to point of view?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Apryl-P23763
    Participant
    I've been exposed to a lot of children who are the product of interracial couplings. Growing up, I was taught these children were 'black.' However, there are many who now consider these children to be bi-racial, or 'mixed.' I was wondering, would such a child ever be considered white? Especially in the white community. Or is that child not 'allowed' to use such a designation?
    Original Code R89. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Apryl-P23763, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Oak Park, State : MI Country : United States, 

Trina24892
    Participant
    I'm having a biracial baby right now. I'm going to make sure he knows his father hertigate which is African American and my hertigate which is white. So he don't have to choose. I will teach him to be proud of who he is.

User Detail :  

Name : Trina24892, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Flushing, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Gwendolyn
    I'm originally from Holland and it is my experience that if a person's features are hardly black they are not considered black. Many of my european friends think it is bizarre that Vanessa Williams is 'black' or Colin Powell is 'black'. They are all 'American' to us. Black people have to have the stereo typical features and hair to be black. If you mean if kids are accepted in the white community I guess it depends on what social level you are dealing with.

User Detail :  

Name : Gwendolyn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : The Netherlands, Occupation : Student and mother, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.