College education vs. wealth vs. class

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Anonimia
    Participant
    Is it a great misconception to assume that a college education will elevate you up the 'ladder'? Should it? And what defines class? Is it wealth?

User Detail :  

Name : Anonimia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Arican-African American/Hispanic, Religion : Independent Christian, Age : 23, City : Apex, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Matthew21835
    Participant
    For the vast majority of people, a good education will get you in front of people who make decisions, while a lack of one will only render polite denials from people far from the top. It is not a guarantee, but rather a solid investment that pays off more frequently than infrequently. If you think about it, a college education just means that you are able to focus your mind on a relatively specific topic and master it. This developed skill usually develops further with successful people in the material world. I now see where a BA or BS from college is considered ineffectual, compared to an MS or Ph.D. degreed individual.

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew21835, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, City : New York City, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : actor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Carlton19260
    Participant
    As someone who comes from a 'lower-class' background and worked his way up the college 'ladder,' I have to say it is all a state of mind. If you don't know what is important to you, you'll be someone else's slave, even if you make six figures. You'll have the same problems as anyone else, they'll just be more expensive. I make $85,000 annually with no dependents, and money has not made me happy or made me feel like I'm in a higher 'class.' I think I would define 'class' as someone who knows what is important to them, works hard to make those things happen and does not hurt or disrespect anyone else to do it. Think of it as a sports analogy: If you don't know what the finish line looks like, where it is or who your fans are, you can be the best player in the game and never win. I know plenty of 'winners' in the $30,000-$40,000 bracket and am trying to figure out how I can be like them. Or maybe it's not about comparing yourself to others.

User Detail :  

Name : Carlton19260, Gender : M, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

kenny on
    A high education does not guarantee us being elevated up to higher part of the 'ladder'. But it is true that we cannot ignore the importance of education. In fact, a good education would get us better paying jobs, as many people experience. Class represents power. It includes 'economic power, and also political and cultural power.' And obtaining greater power gives us greater wealth. I recommend you to read 'The Working Class Majority' by Michael Zweig. It might help you to understand about social classes and social relations.

User Detail :  

Name : kenny on, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 19, City : mt. vernon, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Lucy22382
    Participant
    A college education is definitely an important part of getting a good-paying job. Of course, the degree a person receives is very important. Someone with an engineering or business degree will generally have more earning power than someone with a degree in liberal arts. A person must have marketable skills. As to whether a college education can help a person up the ladder - you bet. Education is all about knowledge and preparation for a particular career. Without that, a person's success in a particular field will be limited. Socioeconomic class is defined many ways, based on wealth, lifestyle, education, values, etc. Most people are either middle class or working class, and the biggest differentiating factor between the two is education. Higher education brings with it more earning power and generally a broader perspective about the world, which shapes our lifestyle and values.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22382, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ify21372
    Participant
    Wealth can never be equal to class. There are very rich people who are the trashy. Education and worldly knowledge helps to elevate a person, because it helps make people knowledgeable of the outside world.

User Detail :  

Name : ify21372, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : miami, State : FL Country : United States, 

Brian22998
    Participant
    I think everyone has to define his or her own goals. If making money is how you define 'moving up the ladder,' then education is not necessarily the way to get that. I know several women who work in the social services field (welfare caseworkers and children's court advocates) who have master's degrees and earn about $22,000 a year. I also know men and women who dropped out of high school to work in union factories and make more than $100,000 on the assembly line after overtime. The most educated people I've known have been my college professors, almost all of whom had PhD.s, and they probably make around $50,000, which is a lot less than a real estate developer I know who dropped out of school in eighth grade and is worth millions. As a rule, people with more education make more money, but that isn't always the case. There isn't a big demand for philosophy majors right now. You have to decide what you want to do and then do it.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian22998, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Peru, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Augustine23573
    Participant
    I have a bachelor's degree magna cum laude from a state university, and two master's degrees. The more materialistic, superficial part of me wishes someone had taken me aside (think of Dustin Hoffman in THE GRADUATE) and said 'Son, I am just going to say one word to you: NETWORKING.' A mediocre education from an institution that allows you to plug into a network of alumni who can help you is well worth the time and money --- if you want to get ahead in life based more upon social relationships than anything else, that is. But if you just go to whatever school your finances and circumstances allow, no matter if your grades are stellar (and more importantly, if you actually learn and retain what you learned!), you will have to prove yourself based upon your abilities, and you will have few if any natural allies. But at least you are free and any achievements will be yours alone, not yours based upon obligations to others. Of course, a combination of ability and effective networking can be very potent too. But if you want to get on the 'fast track' and have to choose between the two, sad to say, networking is the way. Just be aware that you sacrifice a great deal of your individuality and, potentially, your principles in so doing. I would rather be free, talented, with a modest income, doing something I enjoy doing alongside people I like, and be able to live according to my deeply felt convictions. (Incidentally, technical skill can give you an 'end run' around a lot of social conventions and conformity, but that was one choice I didn't have.)

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23573, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I wouldn't give up my college education for anything; I'm glad I did it. However, I also know that there are PhD.s out there bagging groceries. Having a degree isn't going to propel you to the top financially. And there are also lots of people at the top financially who don't have an ounce of class. Class is more of a character issue than a money issue. Education is needed for being considered higher class, but it alone won't put you there. You have to be a good person, too. And that means the kind of person with a conscience, a well-rounded education, good manners and good personal cleanliness and habits.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia Wilson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ginny Z.
    My sociology professor from last semester would tell you that your class, as society sees you, depends on four things: your income, your wealth (that is, the value of all your assets), your occupation and yes, your level of education. These things of course affect each other, and for those seeking to break out of the lower classes, education is usually the best way 'up.' You certainly get a lot more choices in what kind of job and income you get if you have a college education vs. a high school diploma. However, if your parents are already college-educated and middle class, getting a degree might not move you up the ladder much, or you might even commit the great American sin of being downwardly mobile. In my situation, a college degree has been invaluble in helping me have an easier life than my parents had, but it has also been important to have a family that is supportive of my goals and always remembers 'where I came from.'

User Detail :  

Name : Ginny Z., Gender : F, Race : Hapa, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : scientist/aspiring sociologist, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

John MacFarlanne
    Participant
    No. Class defines itself. No.

User Detail :  

Name : John MacFarlanne, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 34, City : Edinburgh, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Software Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mira S.
    Participant
    Yes, a college education will get you up the ladder. Class is based in education. If you can't finish your education right now, some suggestions to give the appearance of wealth: -take up yoga -go to art shows -read up on politics, embrace liberal ideaology -learn about your roots. -learn about Israel. -experiment with bisexuality -read up on feminism

User Detail :  

Name : Mira S., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 31, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : artist/yoga tecaher, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Matt
    Participant
    I think there are a lot of factors that define class. Many of them have to do with money and education, and education does help with making money; there's no doubt about that in my mind. Education also exposes people to more ideas and cultural activities, which I think can also be part of class distinctions. So while a college education may not elevate one up the ladder, it is a definite help in moving up in class.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Denise T
    Participant
    I am a college senior majoring in Economics and Finance. It is a known fact that those possessing a college degree are paid more than those without. This is not a attack on those without a college degree because there are far more qualified H.S. graduates than college graduates. However, I am thought that college teaches you discipline and/or focus, which employers value. However, attending college is one's personal choice, in which he/she must weigh the opportunity cost of attending college.

User Detail :  

Name : Denise T, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Edwardsville, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dave G.
    Participant
    College may not guarantee that you will be sucessful, but that degree gives you many options that a person without a degree has. I have worked with executives that held degrees that had nothing to do with their positions, but they would have not been considered for those positions if they did not have a degree. EX: A manufacturing plant manager with a biology degree.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave G., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 51, City : Excelsior Springs, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : manufacturing engineering, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.