Cold enough for you in Colorado?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Dan
    I moved to Denver about a year ago. I've noticed that as the weather gets colder and snowier, many people dress like it's still summer. It's as if people are thinking "Hey, it's snowing out - break out the shorts and polar fleece!" I've lived in cities with much colder climates and have never seen anyone wear shorts outside when it's snowing and freezing - however, it's common in Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins. Sidewalk cafes in Boulder and Fort Collins are packed when it's only 40 or 45 degrees outside. Is this a fashion trend among the many "outdoorsy" people who live in the Front Range area, sending out a message that apparently says "The cold doesn't bother me"?

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John-B29408
    Participant
    You may or may not have heard the expression "hardening," which is what you do to yourself, supposedly, by exposure to cold weather; you build up a tolerance. I live on the Western Slope, half a mile higher and a whole lot colder than you, and newcomers here are advised to "harden" ASAP; it's too uncomfortable to spend 8 months of a year in a heavy coat (and 2 more in sweaters and light coats). It does seem to work; those who harden rarely complain about cold after the first year (and I haven't been uncomfortable since my first year here, winter of 94-95). You can push it too far, of course - frostbite is too far. I know one doctor who claims you actually get a faster metabolism and more capillaries close to the skin surface by hardening, but I doubt that. Also, at least here on the Western Slope, thin dry air is a great insulator, and consequently 50 degrees really is shirtsleeve weather if there's no wind.

User Detail :  

Name : John-B29408, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 42, City : Rural area, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : College professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Brian23035
    Participant
    First of all, with the dryer climate in Colorado, you don't feel the temperature as much. It's not as humid, so when it gets cold, you really don't notice for a while. Second, Colorado has this weird habit of snowing and then getting really warm. There can be several inches of snow on the ground but it will be 60 degrees or warmer outside. "Four seasons in a day," as natives like to say.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23035, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 20, City : Highlands Ranch, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

E-Henry25417
    Participant
    I live way up in the mountians, in Steamboat Springs, where it is much colder, and when you live in cold areas like Colorado, you get used to the cold. Another plus is that the area is a dry climate, which hardly bothers me when it is cold and not blowing. In fact, I love wearing shorts or tank tops whenever I can, because it can get tiring when I wear pants or long-sleeve shirts and even jackets (any kind) for a long time. So I wear it whenever I can. Like John B. said, wearing layers and layers of clothes can be cumbersome. You really get used to it, and you'll learn how to not mind the cold so much.

User Detail :  

Name : E-Henry25417, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Steamboat Springs, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Rhiannon
    People do this in Minnesota, too. I don't think it's a machismo thing. People who have lived here all their lives just get used to freezing weather. I didn't grow up here, and I find it amusing that when it hits 20 degrees in March or so, people walk around without jackets. I walk around under a pile of sweaters and long underwear all winter, while my boyfriend, who's lived here all his life, doesn't dress much warmer than what he wears in the spring.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhiannon, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 28, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Media studies graduate student, 

Jennifer30876
    Participant
    I come from a third-generation native Coloradan family, and after much discussion, we feel that the dress you speak of is caused by the "Californization" of Colorado. The people you see dressing like this are most likely "transplants."

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30876, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 35, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Executive Vice President, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Mid T.
    Participant
    I'm from Michigan, and even in the dead of winter shorts don't seem that ridculous in Denver because the sun is so bright. Rejoice in the nice weather!

User Detail :  

Name : Mid T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, City : Aurora, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, 

Shawn
    Participant
    For some reason, newcomers are surprised at this "fashion trend" within Colorado. Particularly, late into the fall, the average daily weather is often very nice and sunny, with an occasional snow shower thrown in for color. We know (hope) the cold won't last, and the sun will soon return. Newcomers go into panic-mode and begin the layering process. As the winter progresses, we slowly admit to ourselves that yes, winter has arrived, and it's time to get out the parka. Besides, Denver gets a bad rap for its winters. We get a light dusting of snow, and Grandma in Florida calls at 3 a.m. to see how we're weathering the blizzard. It's our little secret. Weather in the Midwest is far more extreme. Besides, who ever said you can't wear a parka with flip-flops?

User Detail :  

Name : Shawn, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Roobah
    They do it in Utah, too. (Actually I thought it started in Utah.) Utah is the only place I know of where you can buy shorts in the stores right along with the coats and ski parkas! Kids go to school with practically nothing on all year around.

User Detail :  

Name : Roobah, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Amy
    Participant
    I think it has to do with how much you are used to. When I was younger I lived in Germany where it can get quite cold during the winter. Now I have lived in southeast Georgia for seven years, and I get cold when it's below 85. I'm happy when it's 95 degrees, whereas my New England relatives about die when it's over 85. When I go to visit them I have to wear jackets at night, even during the summer, but they wear shorts and t-shirts like I would wear during the summer in Georgia. I've never been to Denver, but I imagine it has to do with what you are used to.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Hinesville, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Beth23202
    Participant
    I moved here from Great Falls, Mont., and it's even more prevalent there. When you haven't seen 0 degrees in 19 days, suddenly 15 above doesn't feel that cold.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth23202, Gender : F, City : Colorado Springs, State : CO Country : United States, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.