Clean up your mess, teens

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author

Cate
    Participant
    Teenagers are at a difficult period. They have been given some of the freedom of adults while still having a few of the thought patterns? of children. Their sometimes inexlicable desire to rebel and act so foolishly is frustrating for the adults around us, but it is the responsibility of all adults to help them learn what is acceptable and what is not. As a mother, and a retailer, I keep an eye on them, explain firmly what they cannot do, but even more strongly what they CAN do... and hope for the best!

User Detail :  

Name : Cate, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 47, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : retail, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann
    Participant
    Nowadays too many children are brought up as if they are the center of the universe. They are not taught to consider others before they act. When you don't have to pay consequences for your actions whatever you decide to do is okay and everybody else has to pay for your irresponsibility. Look at our school system. The good children have to pay for the bad and unwilling; less learning, more disruption and danger of injury.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Davenport, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Owner/Operator Driver, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

James20878
    Participant
    This has little to do with age. It is more of the child being a jerk. I see this even with adults, especially at Wal-Mart and Meijer stores. It is mostly related to people who are of lesser intelligence or lesser manners-related upbringing.

User Detail :  

Name : James20878, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Hamilton, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : PC Technician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gary
    I also have seen the same. I think it is because 1)they have little or no parental control at home 2)they've learned no respect for others property rights 3)people are afraid to confront a group of them When I was their age we goofed off but never intimidated others as many teens today do.

User Detail :  

Name : Gary, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 56, City : Bainbridge Island, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Home builder, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Joe30623
    Participant
    Um, they don't feel like they have the right to, they just do it because they think it's funny. And probably because it apparently confuses people like you.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe30623, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : murdertown, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Joe Berentsen
    Participant
    Because we're bored. A lot of times suburban kids like me will have nothing better to do on a Saturday night than hang out at the 24-hour supermarket and just walk around or play football in the parking lot. I am a college student and work at a convenience store whose customers are almost entirely teenagers. There is a lot of shoplifting, but very little loitering or damaging of goods.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe Berentsen, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 19, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Barb-Beaver
    Participant
    Unfortunatly you have encountered some very rude young people. You should know not all teens behave like animals in public. The teens you speak of have no respect for the poor souls who work retail. They probably are bored and dimwitted. Try informing them that by opening a product they are shopplifting.

User Detail :  

Name : Barb-Beaver, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : wenatchee, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : retail, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jasmine31217
    Participant
    I agree that teens to tend to leave a mess A LOT MORE OFTEN than adults do. It's mostly because they don't think that anyone will mind, as if they are still children. I can even ask my friends if we go shopping, and they say 'They won't care...We're KIDS'. They don't stop and think that we are young adults; and that no one wants to clean up an adults mess, so why would they want to clean up ours?

User Detail :  

Name : Jasmine31217, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 14, City : State College, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

jimmy30531
    Participant
    penis penis penis hahah penis

User Detail :  

Name : jimmy30531, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 17, City : yuma, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

John
    Participant
    Because their parents have failed them, have not taught them respect and responsibility.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, City : Abernathy, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    I've worked in retail for about 4 years and also am just finishing my teen years. What I saw in High School amongst my peers was a great lack of respect for others. The manners I was taught while growing up seem to be rare in other people of my age group and that I believe comes from the parents' lack of involvement in the child's life or just plain apathy. This results in many behaviors, not just tearing through a store with no remorse for the mess and work they are creating for someone else. What I see is that young people's role models from parents to celebrities, and other influencial societal figures do not promote/model good behavior. In fact influence from the entertainment industry seems to encourage destructive and careless acts. I am often ashamed of my generation because the few of us that do try and act mature and have respect for others, our elders, life, and the world in general are overlooked due to the majority of, well, savage behavior. I do apologize to you, partly because I fully understand the frustration, but mainly on behalf of my peers.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Retail, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Todd24649
    Participant
    I believe it's not true to say all teenagers do this. I was a teenager once and did not have such a disregard for other people's property as you described. Perhaps the problem originates with the parents. I believe if you teach your kids there are consequences for making a mess and also the potential hazards of messes, and also teaching respect for property that does not belong to you, then their kids won't be doing what you described. This can easily be demonstrated by going into your teen's room and going through things and making a mess and obviously they won't like that too much. Then tell them why would anyone else like to have to clean up after they rummaged through a store.

User Detail :  

Name : Todd24649, City : Port Stl Lucie, State : FL Country : United States, 

Karen
    They do this because they have not been TAUGHT what the proper behavior is.

User Detail :  

Name : Karen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : administration, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kassy
    Participant
    I remember doing that when I was young -- not a teen, but a preteen, like 11. I'd hope by the time someone is old enough to drive, they wouldn't do that... Anyway, there were a couple of reasons. One, theres the general disdain for any sort of 'authority' thats just part of being a teen, and doing dumb stuff like that made me feel more powerful as I was just getting to the age where I realized if I didn't do what I was told, the world wouldn't come crashing down. Also, to show off for friends by letting them see how 'bad' I was -- which sounds dumb, but when you're 11..

User Detail :  

Name : Kassy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Intern, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Marcos Rodriguez
    Participant
    We do that because we can. :)

User Detail :  

Name : Marcos Rodriguez, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.