Civil rights for gays

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

K.J.
    The presidential primary campaigns have brought the issue of civil rights for homosexual people back into public discussion. Leaving religious opposition aside, please discuss your reasons for or against legal recognition of civil rights for homosexual people in the United States. If you are opposed to legal recognition of civil rights for this segment of American society, will you please provide specific examples of harm you might expect to result to you personally, as well as to society? Again, I request that you omit religious opposition from the discussion. My premise in asking these questions is purely from the aspect of the Constitution of the United States as a charter for a secular government. Please also note that I am not addressing marriage as a religious observance, rather, as a civil contract between two consenting adults.

User Detail :  

Name : K.J., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 47, City : Burke, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Brian
    Participant
    If you mean affirmitive-action type legislation and non-discrimintory laws, I for one am not against it as long as similar laws are enacted that apply to straights, whites, christians and males. Supposedly equality is already written into the law for ALL people. The problem is enforcement. Furthermore, I have been the victum of discrimination due to all of the above several times in the past. I have never beat up a gay, lynched a black, raped a woman or burned a witch. Imagine if this 'MINORITY RULES' mentality continues. Speak up, majority!

User Detail :  

Name : Brian, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Depression, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Gray, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Sm Business Owner, 

Floyd
    All I gotta say on this crap is, if they are going to get all new rights for them, then we should have seperate rights, 1 set of straight rights and 1 set of gay rights. Also on top of that, since they are getting benefits for their life partners as its now called, then companies should start paying out benefits for their straight parters who have girlfriends/boyfriends or fiancees. After all, they are trying to be equal.

User Detail :  

Name : Floyd, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 24, City : Sterling Heights, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Sys Admin, Social class : Middle class, 

Lena22851
    Participant
    The fact that homosexual people are not allowed to enter into a legal contract of marriage is absolutely illogical, and has NO constitutional basis whatsoever. Though you asked that all religious discussion be left out, I think it bears noting that every anti-gay-marriage argument that has been offered by legislators has been grounded in religious doctrine. The fact that gay marriage is not sanctioned by the U.S. government is a simple case of prejudice, as marriage between people of two different races was once illegal. I suspect the ban on gay marriage, like the former ban on mixed marriages, will change.

User Detail :  

Name : Lena22851, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 29, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.