Circumcision

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Megan S.
    Participant
    I am the mother of a 5-year-old uncircumcised boy. I know circumcision is a time-honored tradition, but I would like to know if parents in general continue this tradition out of blind faith, or if they question the procedure, research it and then make a decision.

User Detail :  

Name : Megan S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Rancho Santa Fe, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jesse-N30781
    Participant
    You say in the personal data that you're agnostic. Since any religious issues are of no concern to you, the question is one of medicine and health only. I don't understand why you're asking about the religious convictions that affect others but not yourself. I suggest that you speak to a doctor and make your decision based on his information.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse-N30781, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, Age : 40, City : Herzliya, State : NA Country : Israel, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Michelle20542
    Participant
    I have an 8-week-old son. My husband and I researched the procedure because it was not a religious issue for either of us. Many friends have decided to do the procedure so the son would 'look like' his father. This was not enough of a reason for a surgical procedure, which has no medical benefits, to be performed on our child.

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle20542, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Boulder, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Business owner, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Pavel19822
    Participant
    In Canada, most doctors do not recommend this practice. I have four boys, and none were circumcised, due to my belief that there is no scientific basis to do so. Good, regular hygiene is all that is required. Interesting that for women it is a major issue, but for men it is accepted.

User Detail :  

Name : Pavel19822, City : Montreal, State : NA Country : Canada, 

H.
    Recent data on the spread of HIV in Africa indicates a strong correlation between being uncircumcised and contracting HIV. While these data are not conclusive in terms of a causative effect, the connection is there and also applies to certain other STDs and to penile cancer. Circumcision may be safer than keeping one's foreskin. The difference, however, is probably minimal and is moot since condom usage is adequate prevention against STDs.

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.