Caucasians the chosen race?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

L.W.
    I'm still trying to get a response to this question, and what a better place than Y Forum:

Why do Caucasians feel they are the chosen race, and why are they so racist toward African Americans? Not all, but quite a few.

User Detail :  

Name : L.W., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 38, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, 

Cody-G
    Participant
    I am of European descent, and I do not feel I am of the chosen race. I judge each individual on their own individual merits. That being said, a certain element of your race (rather small percentage-wise, but you know who I am talking about) has successfully (through its actions and culture) angered the majority of American society to the extent that the majority has lost respect for the black race as a whole. Although I cannot agree with the concept of demonizing an entire people over the actions of the 10 percent, the actions of those 10 percent are nonetheless the catalyst for much of the anger toward the race.

User Detail :  

Name : Cody-G, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Las vegas, State : NV Country : United States, 

TN
    Participant
    I've lived in a majority white community for most of my life, and I have yet to hear anybody refer to us as a chosen race. Where did you come up with this bigoted notion?

User Detail :  

Name : TN, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

L.W.
    I find it hard to believe you have never seen or heard this notion somewhere, i.e. on TV, in newspapers, etc. There ARE groups out there that feel this way (I can appreciate the honesty), and I want to know where it comes from.

User Detail :  

Name : L.W., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 38, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, 

Sara28334
    Participant
    I don't think that whites generally refer to themselves as the 'chosen race'; however, the actions and attitudes of some would suggest that they believe they are chosen. I work for a major corporation and it is interesting to me how white culture, dress, music, speech patterns, etc. is automatically considered the 'norm' and all minorities are expected to conform to white standards in order to be successful. Even back in high school, I can remember white history teachers skipping over sections on the achievements of black Americans and when students complained the answer was, 'I just didn't think that section was very important.' It's those types of actions and attitudes that have led me to believe that white people consider themselves 'the chosen race.'

User Detail :  

Name : Sara28334, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 37, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Kate
    Could you be referring to White Supremicists who think the whaite 'race' is 'chosen'? But there are so few of them. There may have been a time during the heigth of the British Empire's 'white man's burden' when Europeans thought their extensive conquests meant they were a special breed. But that was a long time ago. Can the mind-set really survive in modern America? I am white and I dont feel that way. But you must see it around you. What behaviors lead to your observation?

User Detail :  

Name : Kate, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rhiannon
    L.W., I think some of it has to do with fear. Many Whites are afraid of people who are not White, especially African Americans. What comes across as acting superior might actually be fear. This doesn't make it right, of course, and the fear isn't rational, since Whites have done a whole lot more harm to minorities in this country than vice versa.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhiannon, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 29, City : Eden Prairie, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Professor, Social class : Middle class, 

Amy
    Participant
    I am a white person who lives in the South, although being from a military family I have moved around quite a bit. Living in the South, there are about an equal amount of blacks and whites in my area. I think that if you feel like 'most' white people feel this way, it might be just where you live. I live in a region that people tend to think of as being a rascist area where the Klu Klux Klan meets and all that, and I am sure that there are White Supremecists in the world, but I have never actually met one in my whole entire life and I have met a lot of people. Also, to the contrary I think that a lot of white people feel not superior, but inferior to black people because of the past.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Hinesville, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Lucy22458
    Participant
    Cody, I think you need to go back and study a little American history so that you can develop a better understanding of race relations in this country. To understad where were are, a person first has to understand where we came from. Those whites who have 'lost respect for the black race as a whole' probably never had respect for blacks in the first place. Throughout the history of our country, whites have held up a small element of black criminals and low-lifes as proof of their belief that blacks are inferior and subhuman. This is what they used to justify slavery and later, segrigation. There is nothing new here. Every race or ethnicity has a bad element; that is just a fact of life. Some people turn out good, some bad.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22458, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jane-doe20934
    Participant
    I worked as a minority (one of less than a dozen whites in a work force of nearly 200) and had a black female as a supervisor. We were permitted to dress casually and received a non-paid meal break per shift. From the beginning, the black supervisor interfered: from disregarding that I WAS NOT CLOCKED IN BEFORE WORK AND JUST TRYING TO ENJOY A CUP OF COFFEE AND A BOOK--WHICH SHE RUDELY INTERRPUTED WITH HER IRRELEVANT COMMENTS.... TO HER 'REQUIREMENT' THAT HER TEAM (OF WHICH I WAS THE ONLY WHITE PERSON) GIVE UP A NON PAID BREAK AND GO WITH HER TO AN EATERY ON FRIDAYS.... I COULD ACCEPT THAT UNTIL SHE ASKED ME VERY PERSONAL, ILLEGAL QUESTIONS IN AN ATTEMPT TO COERCE ME INTO DATING SOME BLACK MALE THAT I DID NOT KNOW AND HAD NO INTENTION IN MEETING.... I COMPLAINED OVER HER HEAD AFTER CONSULTING AN ATTORNEY CONCENING RACIAL AND SEXUAL HARRASSMENT.... THIS FEMALE WAS SEVERELY REPRIMANDED FOR HER RACISM AND HER SEXISM! IN FACT, YOUR QUESTION REMINDS ME VERY MUCH OF THE RACISM AND SEXISM THAT I WAS FORCED TO ENDURE IN THAT JOB!

User Detail :  

Name : jane-doe20934, City : anon, State : NA Country : United States, 

alex
    Participant
    People would like to say things they think are politically correct, when they really think somethin else. Lots of white people feel that they are better or entitled to something just because they are non white. Of course we all know this isnt true. We all bleed maroon (texas A&M), but try and get the white supremacists to get that. I think the problem is that they look in the mirror and see a color they dont like, therefore try and turn it around and make others think they arent 'worthy'. As for the other responses: just becasue no one says they are better then you, doesnt mean they dont think it.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.