Can’t take a compliment?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Teresa20801
    Participant
    I know some people who seem to be uncomfortable, or even upset, when they receive a compliment, no matter from whom or for what reason. Why do some people act this way? How should I show appreciation or admiration to this kind of people when it's due? Also, what is the best way to respond to a compliment?

User Detail :  

Name : Teresa20801, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Macomb, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Mara
    Participant
    I find that I have a difficult time accepting a compliment. I've never been taught how to do so. We've been taught how to accept criticism and use it to improve ourselves but not how to take credit or compliments gracefully. When someone compliments me I feel embarrassed, as if I need to brush it off lest I look as if I were boasting or vain. I might indeed BE the most beautiful woman you've ever seen, or the most intelligent person you've ever met, but for me to acknowlege this just seems...self-congradulatory. Even worse, I feel as though I should reciprocate by complimenting the complimentor! The whole situation ends up being painful and embarrassing. Even though I still feel uncomfortable with compliments, a simple "Thank you." seems to be about right, if a bit stilted.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    Say think you leave it at that. Fight the temptation to add a disclaimer. It takes practice. It may help to think of it as thanking the other person for being nice. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.