Can blacks’ hair grow long?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Michelle20565
    Participant
    Can black people grow their hair long? They always seem to have either short hair or weaves or wigs. Is it that they're impatient or because it just doesn't grow that long?

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle20565, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 19, City : Chico, State : CA Country : United States, 

Stephanie
    Participant
    Dear Michelle, that is an excellent question. I'm a black woman who has long hair (collar bone length). A lot of black women like to keep their hair short for managability reasons and another reason is because we have a tendency to use a mixture of chemical relaxers (hair straighteners) and apply a lot of heat to our hair--that (may) cause damage and breakage--which will force the purchase of a wig or weave job. In conclusion--yes, black women can grow long hair--I have been doing so for 30 years.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Marietta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Technician, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie
    Participant
    That is an excellent question. I'm a black woman who has long hair (collarbone length). A lot of black women like to keep their hair short for managability reasons; another reason is that we have a tendency to use a mixture of chemical relaxers (hair straighteners) and apply a lot of heat to our hair. That may cause damage and breakage, which will force the purchase of a wig or weave job. In conclusion, yes, black women can grow long hair - I have been doing so for 30 years.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Marietta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Technician, Social class : Middle class, 

Ife
    The problem with black people's hair is that the chemicals used to perm it tend to retard its growth. Nevertheless, there are people out there who use the perm kit, and it does not affect them. I have noticed that those with dreadlocks have very long hair, because it is chemical-free.

User Detail :  

Name : Ife, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Mel W.
    Participant
    Haven't you ever seen dreadlocks that are very long? The reason many black people don't have long hair, particularly women, is that many of the chemical processes used to make hair more manageable (mostly relaxers, which straighten hair) are potentially damaging to hair, causing breakage, etc. Non-chemically-treated hair is usually easier to manage short, but that varies from person to person. For a very thorough explanation of this, the website www.wanakee.com might help a little.

User Detail :  

Name : Mel W., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Gunnison, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

ED25458
    Participant
    Black people can grow long hair, just like everyone else. If we couldn't, we'd all be bald. Unfortunately, the procedures many of us use to alter our hair's natural texture, such as perms and pressing with hot combs, often break and damage it. Have you ever seen someone with dreadlocks? They don't participate in any hair-breaking activities, and some of them have glorious, waist-length hair.

User Detail :  

Name : ED25458, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 43, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 

G.E. Long
    Yes, black people can and do grow their hair long. In my mother's family, all of the women either have or have had long hair (my grandmother could sit on her hair, it was so long). What the issue really is is one of maintenance. My grandmother kept her hair long; my mother, when she was working, had less time to do the necessary maintenance, so she wore her hair shorter (shoulder length). When she retired, she let it grow out, so now it falls halfway down her back. I, too have long hair (middle of my back), and while the maintenance takes a considerable amount of time, 1) I like having long hair, and 2) the look of disbelief from people is an extra 'bonus.' I am amazed by the strangers who will walk up to me and ask whether my hair 'is grown or bought,' or have the gall to touch it, 'to see if it's real.' (I normally respond by grabbing a handful of their hair, and asking them the same question).

Also, in regard to maintenance, cost can become an issue. I do my maintenance myself, because when I priced having it done at various salons a few years ago, I was told by more that one beautician that she would have to charge me twice the basic fee, as it would take her twice as long to do my hair. While I felt her reasoning was fair, at that time I could not afford to have it done; now, I continue to care for my hair myself 1) as a matter of personal convenience (don't have to leave the house), and 2) since I can care for it myself, honestly, I'd rather save the money.

In addition, there are some people who just prefer short hair. One of my cousins had beautiful long hair as a little girl (waist length), and as long as I can remember, she wanted to wear it short. She and her mother came to the agreement that if she wanted to cut it on her 16th birthday, she could do so. My cousin postponed her birthday party so that she could get her hair cut the minute she woke up on her birthday! She continues to maintain a short 'do -simply because she prefers to.

User Detail :  

Name : G.E. Long, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TaWanna S.
    Participant
    Though the texture of black hair widely varies, it does have the capability to grow very long; however, the social conception of beauty may hinder the growth of black hair. For as far back as the 1920s, most blacks (primarily women) have had an obsession with straightening their hair. The invention of the pressing comb was the first successful attempt at straightening the 'naps,' that is, naturally kinky hair. A metal comb would be burned and gently combed through kinky hair with the help of a very thick oil. Did you know that black hair doesn't have natural oil? When white hair goes unwashed for days you can literally see the oil buildup, but not black hair. It's naturally dry, and that's the reason oil is added to it. Later, chemical processing (perms) achieved the straight look with less manual labor. In order to keep up with the latest styles, black hair has had to put up with a lot of torture of heat damage, chemical damage and oils that block pores. But black hair in its natural state grows just a fast as silky hair. Have you ever seen black people with dredlocks? They're sporting black hair in its natural state, (no heat, no chemical, no fuss), and boy can it grow!

User Detail :  

Name : TaWanna S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Fort Hood, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    Just wanted to chime in as one of those black folks who can. I happen to be one of the sisters to whom other posters have referred with butt-length dreadlocks. _____________________

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Happylocks
    African American can grow hair long, alot dont choose too, weaves or wigs r something everyone wear now adays not just blk its a quick and easy style that days hot celebs wear, I choose to grow my hair long, right now its pass my shoulders, while my sister does not care about long hair, because she can always buy it. but Alot of african american women use the quick fixes and cause alot of damage to thier hair, HAIR GROW no matter what race, but poor habits can affect it. I have learnt that I cant brush my hair without it breaking off, heat is not my friend. and I dont really need any of high price promise product too keep healthy hair,

User Detail :  

Name : Happylocks, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Muslim, Age : 20, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

hermosura
    Yes, they can! I am black and my hair is just below my bra strap. I think that the main reason black peoples hair doesn't seem to grow is because when women perm/relax their hair they weaken the bonds in the hair. This causes the hair to be more prone to breakage. When the hair is not cared for with extreme protection it tends to break off and the ends are usually terribly split. Therefore it appears as though the hair doesn't grow. Trust me it does. Also when women like myself wear their hair natural (no chemicals) it usually shrinks up when its dries after washing (unless you do something like braid or twist it). My hair is very very curly(think mini shirley temple curls). Usually I just shake and go because the curls don't frizz too much. I straightened out my hair the other day and everyone at my job was totally surprised at the length. They had never seen my hair straight before. Anyway, yes blacks can grow long hair!! You just have to take care of it. Relaxing/perming destroy hair. Oh yeah, there are some people who, due to genetics, just won't grow long hair. And that's regardless of race, creed, color, geographical location, blah, blah, blah. Peace and Overstanding

User Detail :  

Name : hermosura, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, 

Debra H. Woolcock
    Participant
    Hi Michelle, Everyone's hair grows at approximately the same rate. However, as some have indicated, the use of chemicals, excessive heat etc. breaks the hair before the growth can be recognized. With the right maintenance, knowledge and patience, a black women who is at least 80% black as myself can have long healthy thick hair. Yes, I do chemically relax my hair and my hair is in the middle of my back and in excellent condition, no split ends, thin ends, etc. just absolutely beautiful and I take care of it myself.

User Detail :  

Name : Debra H. Woolcock, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Saint Stephen, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales Agent, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Terry24742
    Participant
    I'm sorry to say that you must be very naive. Of course black women can grow long hair (lower back length). Most, chose not to because the longer the hair the older it makes you look. Most black women do not look their age whereas most white women look older than they really are (esp. 16 and 17 year old white girls looks thirty). This is because in the white culture, long hair and lots and lots of make up is used. Also,there are more white women wearing weave and wigs than black women. Black women prefer shorter hair, because its more manageable and alot easier to style according to frame of their face.

User Detail :  

Name : Terry24742, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Ph. D. Immunologist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

jeanine19719
    Participant
    IM BLACK and my hair is not long but imgrowing my hair back out and yes it was long. I CUT IT. BLACK PEOPLE HAIR GROW LONG VERY LONG BUT THEY CHOOSE TO CUT IT BECAUE WERE BLACK AND WE ATTRACT HEAT. AND WE CUT IT BECAUSE WE DONT WANT TO SWEAT MORE SO WHEN ITS CUT WE GET COOLER. AND THATS THE WAY IT IS. DID I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? AND FYI WE WERE WEAVES BECAUSE IT GROWS OUR HAIR AND KEEP IT COOL.

User Detail :  

Name : jeanine19719, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 14, City : detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : MODEL, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.