Calling mom and dad to complain about spouse

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

David28670
    Participant
    I've never understood this. People get married, then they call their mom or dad and complain about their spouse rather than talk to their spouse about issues. Why? Did mom or dad force them to get married? What do they expect mom or dad to do, rush over and spank the spouse for not being perfect?

User Detail :  

Name : David28670, Gender : M, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 

Laurie
    Participant
    Since every person is different, you can't generalize. I suggest you ask the person in question why they do it; or ask your friends if they do it, and if so, why.

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 
    It may help get thoughts organized. Talking to a third party might help you see that there are other ways of looking at things than the way you were looking at them. It may give them ideas on how to approach their spouse. To find out if their parents had the same kind of problem and if so, what they did about it? Some people have issues with confrontation. It's very difficult for them to say to their spouse, "We have to talk." Sometimes they need that third party to help them figure out how to do just that. If you're the spouse of someone who does this, it's kind of ironic that you posted this question rather than ask your spouse why he/she does it.

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    No, I'd say it's more likely they complain to their parents to hear them say "oh, that's awful!" or something similar so they can feel more justified about what they think their spouse is doing wrong.

User Detail :  

Name : CraigMcLennan, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Duncan, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student/sales associate, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Anita
    Participant
    I think it's also because no one knows you like your parents. Parents (should) offer unconditional love, and a child (even an adult) should feel 'safe' calling their parent. Since the parents know your history (bad and good!) and have lived a lot longer, they can see things from the broad perspective of time, experience and intimate knowledge of the 'child.'

User Detail :  

Name : Anita, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.