Bumping (literally) into men on the street?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    For the men out there: Do you get bumped by other men on the street? I live in New York City and find this to be the case. It's very aggressive. Maybe it's because I am short (5'4'). I used to be a woman (I'm transgender) and don't remember being bumped by men back then. It seems like a guy thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Jack Griffin, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : social worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

M.K.
    Participant
    I suspect you are putting out over-subservient body language. Men will not be aggressive to a woman, but a man who is servile is a target. Most of them are probably unaware they are doing it. As the song says, 'Walk like a man, talk like a man, my son!'

User Detail :  

Name : M.K., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 31, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : Technical School, 

Matt22026
    Participant
    No not regularly. I'm 5'4' as well so I don't think that's a factor. If I were in a big hurry on a busy street, I'm sure I'd be more aggressive with men than women, though. So I bet that's the phenomena you're experiencing.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt22026, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 25, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Software Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Leo
    I don't think it's intentional, but I would think it's because there are too many people in such a small space. I can't say that the bumps I got were intentional, just that the same space was occupied, and someone had to move.

User Detail :  

Name : Leo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Finance, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Justin26836
    Participant
    Yes. Don't complain of this out loud ever again. Welcome to the undertow of male aggression. I'm assuming as a woman you always saw fights over these things as stupid male behavior that's easily avoided. Twelve months from now you'll see things differently.

User Detail :  

Name : Justin26836, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matthew
    Participant
    It all depends. I am a bigger guy; sometimes I bump, and sometimes I get bumped, regardless of age, sex and race. It can be an aggressive or self-centered thing. You being smaller are an easy prey. It may also be disrespect. Although guys pretend to be dense, they know who and when they want to give sh*t to someone.

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Bim
    Participant
    I have noticed the bumping thing too. I think the idea is that the dominant male gets the right of way. I think that the whole bumping thing is a masculine territorial thing. I don't know what to tell you about it. I hate the bumping crap!

User Detail :  

Name : Bim, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 38, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Nathan20120
    Participant
    I've been to NYC, and it's so JAM PACKED with people, I don't know how anyone can avoied being rammed into. I live in Seattle, of course it's a much smaller city, and it's not an issue here, or anywhere else I've been for that matter. Except when I did the tourist thing in Europe. I just thought that tourists were pushy and rude.

User Detail :  

Name : Nathan20120, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30's, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Tony M.
    Actually Jack... it IS a male thing... sort of an 'i'm bigger than you, get out of my way thing.' I don't know you in person (obviously) but if you make eye-contact a lot, it shows more up front attitude, and perhaps you'll get bumped less...

User Detail :  

Name : Tony M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Hayward, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Radio Sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.