Bona fide porch monkeys?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Kyle
    Why are blacks called bona fide porch monkeys?

User Detail :  

Name : Kyle, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 14, City : NA, State : NA Country : Mexico, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michael F.
    Participant
    I am hoping that you simply misspoke when you said the terms 'bona fide porch monkeys,' a connotation that seems to suggest that you're making a racist statement as opposed to asking a question. Or maybe you don't know what bona fide means. In any instance, your question has a simple answer: hate and bigotry. Blacks have endured a legacy of racist whites likening them to animals such as bucks, bulls, monkeys and the like, none of which have any scientific bearing or fact. Insults like these are the residue of larger stereotypes that some whites who are racist used to justify slavery, lynchings and the general, baseless theory of black inferiority. I suggest you read up on this country's history as it relates to blacks and ask your questions in a more careful manner unless you enjoy getting lit into by the readers of Y? Forum.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael F., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ED25466
    Participant
    Because some people on this planet are mean and stupid.

User Detail :  

Name : ED25466, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 46, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 

Liz
    Participant
    My impression is that this epithet came from the common sight of old black men gathering on front porches for conversation. Whereas the old white guys would presumably be inside their air-conditioned homes or on a shaded park bench, I suppose! Or perhaps unemployed black men of any age gathering on a front porch to while away the hours. Apart from the monkey aspect, it's actually a positive image in this white person's mind, insofar as I think the support of a community/social network is hard to come by in these days of gated fortresses in the suburbs. Just my two cents.

User Detail :  

Name : Liz, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

rebecca30090
    Participant
    By whom?

User Detail :  

Name : rebecca30090, City : northampton, State : MA Country : United States, 

Brant
    Participant
    I've never heard the racist term 'porch monkey' coupled with bona fide, but a porch monkey is a racist term used mostly in the southern united states. Porch monkey ties in somewhat to the slur 'jungle-bunny', both of which imply that blacks are closer to monkeys than whites are. I beleive that the phrase porch monkey describes a lazy black person will spend thier time lounging about on the porch instead of having a real job.

User Detail :  

Name : Brant, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Alaska Native, Age : 25, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jared31201
    Participant
    It's because racist white people usually refer to blacks as 'monkeys'. And these same people also have the belief that all blacks sit on their porches all day, not working and drinking 40's of old english. Hence, porch monkey.

User Detail :  

Name : Jared31201, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Liz
    Participant
    My impression is that this epithet came from the common sight of old black men gathering on front porches for conversation. Whereas the old white guys would presumably be inside their air-conditioned homes or on a shaded park bench, I suppose. Or perhaps unemployed black men of any age gathering on a front porch to wile away the hours. Apart from the monkey aspect, it's actually a positive image in this white person's mind, insofar as I think the support of a community/social network is hard to come by in these days of gated fortresses in the suburbs.

User Detail :  

Name : Liz, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.