Blacks wearing NASCAR jackets: why?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jeff
    Participant
    Lately, I've seen a lot of black people wearing 'NASCAR' jackets depicting various drivers racing in the Winston Cup. I've been to several races, and hardly ever see anyone black among the 140,000 or so fans that attend the races in Michigan at MIS. My question is why are so many black people jumping on the NASCAR bandwagon when they aren't fans?

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : Sterling Heights, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Ford Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

C28624
    Participant
    I guess we could all wear Bill Lester jackets, but does anyone want to wear clothes that say 'Waste Management' ?!! Even though the media doesn't accuartely portray it, there are Afican-American fans of motorsports., especially in the Detroit area (Motor City, get it ?! ) Remember, MIS is HUGE, and is 3 hours from Detroit and NASCAR events are now a hot ticket, you almost gotta find a scalper to get in. You have to look harder Jeff, there are Black folks at MIS, Indy(all 3 races), Mosport Park, Detroit, Toronto, and Montreal Grand Prixs . I guess that 3% minority would be hard to find among 100K + Caucasian people (which is 3x the population of Sterling Heights, MI), same way it would be hard to see the few white Americans in the Pompalona Spain Running of the Bulls. . Second point to remember, the Generation Y Black males wish to dress like people they admire such as rappers, and pro athletes. About 5 years ago the 'gangsta rappers' started wearing the NASCAR pit crew/driver uni replicas becase it was the 'fashion trend of the moment' You have to look harder Jeff. Look for me (1 African American race fan) a Belle Isle this September (ALMS, IRL)

User Detail :  

Name : C28624, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 38, City : Pontiac, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Peter28623
    Participant
    Well, for the same reason white people go to basketball games. It's a sport, and the color of your skin doesn't matter.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter28623, City : Johnson, State : CA Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    How many white gang-bangers do you know of? Yet white teens and young adults buy and wear 'gang chic' apparel like their lives depend on it. Oh, and when the Colorado Rockies were formed, Rockies logo'd clothing became instantly popular to the point of precipitating murders among inner-city blacks in places like Milwaukee and Detroit, because of the team's colors. People wearing logo'd clothes or clothes of a certain type can simply be because it's fashionable. They don't have to be fans.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Toya
    Participant
    Just because you don't see black people at the races doesn't mean that black people aren't into NASCAR. It could be that there are a lot of black people that watch the races on tv but don't go to the races because they may feel uncomfortable being surrounded by so many white people. I know I would.

User Detail :  

Name : Toya, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : St. Clair Shores, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Chris28652
    Participant
    They aren't 'jumping on the bandwagon,' it is just a fashion fad. It was really popular when I was in high school (five years ago). Most of the jackets have lots of colors so they can be easily mixed and matched.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris28652, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Hampton, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rochelle28663
    Participant
    You're painting with a pretty wide brush. Just because you rarely see blacks at the races doesn't mean the ones you see wearing the jackets aren't fans. On the other hand, maybe they're not fans but they just like those hideous jackets. What do you care?

User Detail :  

Name : Rochelle28663, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, City : Williston, State : ND Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

CR28568
    Participant
    A trend started a few years back when a few 'Gansta Rappers' started wearing the driver/pit crew replica jackets as something new then many Gen-Y Black males copied the trend. Also Dale Earnhardt Jr. gave respect to many rappers such as Ludacris so they returned the respect by wearing his No. 8 & Bud crew jacket. There ARE Black NASCAR fans though, Jeff. Remember, MIS is a HUGE place and becomes the second largest city in Michigan twice a year, so it may be hard to spot the Sweet Chocolate amongst the Sugar !, (but look hard you'll see us)

User Detail :  

Name : CR28568, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 38, City : Pontiac, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bob
    That's a good question. There's some 'irony' to Blacks wearing NASCAR Jackets of their 'favorite heroes'. For a while it was considered 'bad' to be wearing a SOX Jacket. White guys looked like wanabes trying for a makeover.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 66, City : Eugene, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Retired Executive, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

mike
    Participant
    Why are so many white kids wearing their pants like the brothers? Fashion statement? But, I do remember that the day Dale died at Daytona, I had a fellow co-worker wearing a really nice leather Dale jacket. He was African-American, so this is nothing new. Most of 'them' do not really want to go fast. Just look like it. No prejudice intended but you have to race some sort of motor vehicle to understand the love.

User Detail :  

Name : mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : vegas, State : NV Country : United States, Occupation : bartender, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Brad
    A lot of people wear sports clothing for teams/players that they haven't seen live. I wear a Carolina Panthers jersey (go Delhomme!) and I've never been to any NFL game. It doesn't make me, or them. any less of a fan. Best guess I can make is that even if they are fans of NASCAR (I can't stand it myself) they might not feel welcome in what seems to be mostly white venues. Some sports are better off on TV, anyway.

User Detail :  

Name : Brad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 33, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Tamika
    Participant
    Blacks are probably wearing them because they are the 'new' trend in fashion. We are starting to get into more of a 'rocker' type look lately. It's all more about the newest look.

User Detail :  

Name : Tamika, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : technician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rachel30390
    Participant
    Jeff, It is OK to be a black person and be a fan of a sport that is dominated by persons of another race. I LOVE NASCAR, Formula I, Indy, Grand Prix, drag racing, you name it. And guess what? I'm a black person! True, I don't own a jacket proclaiming my passion for the sport but I don't think that racial heritage is a requisite for which sport we are 'supposed to' be bigger fans of. It is also possible that the people you see wearing these jackets simply like the style. I take it then, that because professional basketball is dominated by black men, you are not a fan of that sport?

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel30390, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 49, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.