Blacks’ soft drink preferences

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Steve F.
    Participant
    Maybe this is a scenario specific to my region, but here is my question: Why do black folks seem to always order red or orange soft drinks? For example, Big Red, Strawberry drinks, cherry drinks, Orange Crush, etc. I know that sounds dumb, but I see it every day at lunch, without fail.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve F., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Longview, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ACC25064
    Participant
    I've always heard Big Red jokingly referred to as 'Mexican Coke'. And this is by other Mexicans. The reason so many of us drink it is because it's usually a few cents cheaper than actual Coke. Myabe price has something to do with why you see so many blacks drinking those types of sodas.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25064, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, 

David25894
    Participant
    My understanding (from many black friends, study of black history and culture in college) is that blacks in general like really sweet foods/drinks. Why? I'm not sure. As for sweet drinks in particular, I think it has something to do with what blacks were exposed to as youths. Since many black households are/were of relatively low income, cheap drinks like Kool-Aid (rather than more expensive juices and colas) were commonplace in their homes. That early connection with sweet fruit beverages often carries over into adult life.

User Detail :  

Name : David25894, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, 

Michael E.
    Participant
    Yeah that was pretty dumb and lame to I might add. Blacks as a whole don't have a soft drink preference one way or the other. Perhaps it looked that way to you bcuase the place you eat lunch at is just one place. Check and see what other drink selections are offered there besides the red or orange drinks. I don't think your observation carries any merit what so ever.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael E., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Burleson, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Inventory Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jason
    Participant
    This is a good question. Althought I only have my wife and her family experience to draw on (black, from Carribean), one of the first things I was always curious about was her love of Orange Crush, or any Crush-type drink. I never thought to ask her, although I doubt her personal choice is going to represent everyone. Heck, she even got me liking orange crush.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : Kaczor, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Self-Employed, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

KGreen
    Steve, I am thinking that there are racial differences in one's taste preference. I don't knwo this for sure. I'm not an expert and haven't done a study. But, just as you have noticed this, I have noticed that white people tend to request/purchase/select for themselves DIET COLA products moreso than anything else. They also prefer straight non-diet COLA to other drinks. Why is this?

User Detail :  

Name : KGreen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 31, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Monika20324
    Participant
    Red and orange soda is great!!

User Detail :  

Name : Monika20324, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, 

Katie26709
    Participant
    Speaking for myself only, I will choose the strawberry or orange flavors because I prefer their tastes to the colas. Also, and I may be giving away my age, another reason for me is I developed a taste for the non-colas because as a child my parents thought colas were too strong for kids. I guess I just stayed with what was familiar. Again, speaking only for myself. Hope that takes some of the mystery out of it for you.

User Detail :  

Name : Katie26709, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, 

Brandi
    It's not that blacks necessarily only order those types of drinks, we just tend to like the more fruit flavored drinks...maybe it's the color that is appealing to some, but for me, the orange and red colored soft drinks have less caffeine, and they taste good. I drink things that appeal to me, as you probably do.

User Detail :  

Name : Brandi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 16, City : Rantoul, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Senetra28032
    Participant
    I like flavored pop. I don't always want a cola drink (coke or pepsi), and in the neighborhoods where black people tend to live, the flavored pops are inexpensive. My favorite is Faygo, and if you've ever had it you know what I'm talking about. There's even a flavor called RedPop.

User Detail :  

Name : Senetra28032, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Anderson, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

cLa
    Well, where I live the white folk here drink Dr.Pepper and Moutnain Dew like it's the fountain of youth. They even drink it for breakfast. Help me out.. AND.. I'm half black, and I don't drink soda, I HATE red drinks, I mostly drink water.

User Detail :  

Name : cLa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : batties, Religion : Seventh-Day Adventist, Age : 22, City : Bushville, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Amy
    Participant
    I can't speak for black people, but I can speak as a person who loves grape, orange and lemon-lime soda. I have never liked cola, and have always ordered something fruity. When I moved to Florida, that was the first time some one told me I was drinking 'black' soda. I had no idea. I think this is a Southern US sterotype, as when I lived in the Northeast, I had never heard it. I would advise you to really look around and see if more black people are really ordering fruity sodas, or if your preconcecption is coloring (so to speak) your views.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : mental illness (bipolar disorder), Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 27, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : mom, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jamara
    Wow. I just want to know: When do you find the TIME to observe what we're DRINKING???? That sounds like the government has put you up to something. For your info, I drink Pepsi!

User Detail :  

Name : Jamara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Anchorage, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Office manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Tisha
    Participant
    And what type of drink do you order? Is it that you've never ordered a Big Red or Orange Crush. The same could be said for you if all you order is Coke or Dr. Pepper. Do white people at your job only order these or do they also order the former? Or what about the Hispanic people and people of other races....People have their preferences and it could be said that white people only drink Cola when it its entirely untrue.

User Detail :  

Name : Tisha, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Tyler, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Internet Tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Day
    Participant
    I prefer Coke and Fresca, or I will just get water. I have had some of the fruit flavored drinks but they are too sweet for my taste so maybe it is the area you are from, maybe the fruit flavors taste better in those places.

User Detail :  

Name : Day, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 29, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : State Gov., Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.