Blacks and clothing tags (newspaper column)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Chris26351
    Participant
    Why is it that black people seem to wear clothes (jackets, shoes, hats, etc.) with the tags still on them?

User Detail :  

Name : Chris26351, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Plynie
    Participant
    I have never done this or witnessed it being done, so I am wondering if maybe this is just something done in the area or region that you live in.

User Detail :  

Name : Plynie, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Harlem, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Peter
    Participant
    I see hardly any blacks wearing tags on their clothes. Its kind of like saying why do whites worship Abercrombie? As with anything, those scarce few ignorant individuals you refer to are simply trying to superficially display the brand or obvious price paid for something expensive that they can't really afford. The affluent don't do such things; you know that their clothes are expensive by the style or texture or material of the clothes, not the brand.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Princess22326
    Participant
    In the black culture, money is everything. When you have money you are envied and revered. With money comes designer clothing. So, if you buy something designer, you will leave the tag on it so everyone will know it was expensive and you have money.

User Detail :  

Name : Princess22326, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 17, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

nary20767
    Participant
    What gives you the right to call someone ignorant because they wear the tags still on their clothing. My aunt does it all the time and I find her to be a very classy and intelligent individual. Can you explain your choice of words? It seems a little harsh and very judgemental.

User Detail :  

Name : nary20767, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 14, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Wayne-C
    Participant
    I've done this once or twice. It happened when I was rushing and forgot to pull the tag off. I was quite embarrassed when I noticed the tag still on while I was at a restaurant.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne-C, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 44, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

JR22122
    Participant
    I have heard that is done so they can return the item to the store after they wear it.

User Detail :  

Name : JR22122, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 44, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Govt, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tresha
    Participant
    i know people (my mom) who do this so that people can tell what brand an item is and how expensive it is, it's a tcky status symbol. and P.S. DISHONEST PEOPLE, not black peolpe, wear clothes and commit fraud by returning them. There are dishonest people of all ethicities.

User Detail :  

Name : Tresha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Photographer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nakeia W.
    Participant
    All black people dont wear tags on their clothes. I don't know anyone other than younger kids who keep tags on things like a hat, maybe. But a shirt or pants, I can't believe anyone can say that they have seen this. Why would a black person have to wear tags when all black people know how much each name brand costs? So when you see a person, you already know if it was expensive or not.

User Detail :  

Name : Nakeia W., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Greenwood, State : MS Country : United States, 

Marie
    Participant
    It is best that someone set you straight while you are still very young. Money is NOT everything in the black culture!! That may be the case with the younger set, when you are judged by your peers for just about everything you do, wear, think, who you hang out with, etc, but then even that is not exclusive to African American culture. Just like the majority of the questions asked by white Americans in YForum who believe that because they see one or a few black people do this or that and think that we are all the same! The answer you gave indicates that you have a lot to learn.

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 47, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

T. Arroyo
    Participant
    It is not just a "black thing." It is something young people do because they want everyone to recognize that they are wearing something expensive. Most of the time, it's those who are not used to having nice things who insist on showing tags and name brands. When you are used to having nice things, it does not matter.

User Detail :  

Name : T. Arroyo, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Managment, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dee
    Participant
    I've seen guys do this in high school and at my university. It's usually on expensive caps and tennis shoes. To me it's stupid, but obviously they wantd everybody to know about their expensive whatevers.

User Detail :  

Name : Dee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : full time student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lakeisha
    Actually the only thing I've ever worn that still had tags on it were my Fitted hats. I don't really know why, I think it was just the style. And trust me, it's not just Blacks. It's just about anyone into the Hip Hop fashion

User Detail :  

Name : Lakeisha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Roanoke, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.