Blacks afraid of water?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Samantha
    Participant
    I feel that this question does not only apply to black people. I feel that there thousands of people that are afraid of large bodies of water. I think that it is just the fear of drowning. I am African American and i am not afraid of water.

User Detail :  

Name : Samantha, City : Middletown, State : CT Country : United States, 

Jt
    Participant
    I was a fish growin up. My Aunt says no way.. she wont even go on a cruise. She says she cant drink all that water. Maybe its because of all of the drownings during the slave trade when we would be thrown over.

User Detail :  

Name : Jt, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 33, City : long beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sean
    Participant
    I think this is a legitimate question. I've heard many Black people say, 'Black people don't swim!' To me, the question isn't whether or not Black people swim, but why so many make such arbitrary and general declarations about themselves. I have a feeling that many Blacks affect a certain set of generalized traits in order to reinforce a sense of racial identity in a still semi-hostile society. I see white 'rednecks' do the same thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Sean, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 35, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Ive always known how to swim. My mother taught me when I was 5. But the other black kids i knew in my elementry school did not. Mostly because they had no one to teach them.

User Detail :  

Name : Rainn Bryant, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/Puerto Rican, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 23, City : Waynesboro, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.