Black women and their relaxed (or tacky) hair

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Hello.. I am a hairstylist of 20 years. It has been my experiance that people want the opposite of what they have. So it is a natural desire not a culturaldesire to want relaxed hair.. Our industry has improved on our chemicals and products to the point that we can now relax the hair and when the process is done , thehair is actually in a permantly better condition state than when we started the process.

User Detail :  

Name : james b sunderland, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 42, City : Springfield, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Hairstylist, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessminder Bhamar
    Participant
    1st of all negros arent african american we didnt come from africa! our ancesters did! for example say a jamican guy move to american how da hell is he a african american we should be call negro and about negro women being a ashame of black becuz of weave a perm i mean dat statement is so in da 50's i mean its da yr 2004 it is jus a hairstyle negro girls dont even think about being white r any thing i mean its a style we arent in africa at all !! dis is america! so wat if black girls perm there hair an color it i mean white girls color there hair! and black ppl is da only race dat talk down on there selves u dont see indians and arabs talkin bout themselves they r proud who they r even black leaders talk bad about balck ppl how blacks kill one another and all dat shit white ppl do bad atuff and u dont hear whites talkin bad about there race!!

User Detail :  

Name : Jessminder Bhamar, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : highschool, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Drea
    Participant
    The way Black women wear their hair is a personal choice for many reasons. I won't belittle them, but I personally wear locs after abandoning abusing my hair with chemicals. During the straight hair years, I figured I would be more attractive by eurocentric ideals, but I was fooled. Plus, we (Black women) are the only race, that goes to extremes to manipulate our hair, considering Black hair billion dollar industries. Each to their own, but when Black people know their history, understand self hatred from the past and present mechanisms of self hate reworking then, seeing our hair becomes beautiful but not by white/ european standards. Also natural hair is easier to care for and healthier than abuse with chemicals. Cheers...

User Detail :  

Name : Drea, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Lawanda
    Participant
    I would like to commend you for asking such a good question, and exposing the hair issue which is a really taboo one among us sisters. I myself escaped the horse hair hell and scalp burning ceremonies and have been wearing my hair naturally for three years now. I feel free. I feel happier. I don't itch, or blister, and my hair actually grows!!! I always felt depressed that I was bald headed and just couldn't get my hair to grow. Naturally it grew- instantly. I think that a lot of black women feel the need to relax and lengthen to achieve a more caucasian look and feel. Perhaps they want to be able to compete with white women. What they don't understand, is that these ssame white women are trying to look like us with their tanning and curly perms. The asian women are dying blonde to look white, and everybody seems to want to look like something they're not. I think that if women in general don't start to look for something more meaningful to aspire to... besides taking on the features of another race, we are in trouble as a gender.

User Detail :  

Name : Lawanda, City : Albany, State : NY Country : United States, 
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.