Black people’s (black) interests

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Harry21421
    Participant
    Is it true that black people are mainly interested only in music, sports, movies, etc. that involve people of their own race? Not that this isn't completely understandable and copied by other races, but I'm just wondering.

User Detail :  

Name : Harry21421, Gender : M, City : Montreal, Quebec, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Alea29015
    Participant
    Black people not only have dark skin and a different hair texture than other races, we also have a unique situation in that most other races look down on us and hate us. It is only logical that we will prefer to be around each other and support our own cultural music, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Alea29015, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Afro-Caribbean, Age : 23, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jennifer30887
    Participant
    No. ******* Even the most culturally-sepratist black person probably has some interest in events, sports, music, books, or areas of study that might seem outside of the 'black experience'. ******* This is something that must be relentlesly drummed into the minds of the public, in my opinion: ******* Black people are as diverse in their interests and beliefs as any other group of people in the world. *****editor, please insert paragraph breaks where you see the asterisks. For some reason, this server will not retain them.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30887, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Non-profit, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sadie28525
    Participant
    No it's not true that Black People only like Music,sports, and movies involving their own people. I like all kinds of music classical, pop,jazz, even some country, but I choose to only buy and listen to Gospel music. I like all kinds of movies, based own the plot and subject of the movie. As a matter of fact I stopped going to see alot of Black movies, because I was tired of the language and the use of the 'N' word. It is very embarassing for me to sit in a theater with a bunch of non Black people and watch 'us' call each other the 'N' word. But also I am very proud of some of the Black entertainers, so I will go see a movie or watch a show just because they have a role. I hope this gave you some insight?

User Detail :  

Name : Sadie28525, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 38, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Electronics, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dele
    Participant
    Black Americans have had white American culture forced on them for centuries. All of those areas you mentioned (music, sports, movies) have actively excluded or discriminated against blacks. What you have seen is probably a certain level of pride in black people who are excelling (or at least participating) in activities that used to be off limits for them.

User Detail :  

Name : Dele, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    M'sieur, as an American, I am personally sick to death of the whole issue of race. 'You did this to me because I'm (this color).' 'We've been oppressed because we're (this color).' 'You're an evil person because you're (this color).' Black v. White, Yellow v. White, Red v. White, White v. People of Color, All the Other People of Color v. Black. 'I didn't get hired because I'm (this color).' 'You don't like me because I'm (this color).' While it's a very real and present situation in our nation, and cannot be simply swept under the rug and ignored, I find myself positively sick to the stomach at times when it comes to race issues. I can't stand it. I long for a day when the people of this nation will not give a flying rat's behind about who did what to whom because of whose race or color or background or whatever. I long for a day when we won't see the African American or the Asian American or the Euro American or the Native American or the Latino American, but only the American. A good number of my friends from Canada have expressed to me their shock at how ardently hung up we as Americans are on race. This is one reason why I have decided to finish my education in Canada (I hope to transfer to McGill, in Montreal, next fall), in the attempt to escape the racism in America and get a breath of fresh air. (I spent 5 days in Montreal just this past October, and it was absolutely wonderful.) But I have this nagging in the back of my mind, that the grass is always greener on the other side. 5 days in Montreal can't possibly give me a sense of the Canadian experience. And so I would like to ask you, what is your assessment of and experience with race and racial issues in Canada? I know virtually nothing about Canadian history (something I intend to correct when I get there); has there ever been slavery in Canada? I know a little of the quarrels between the Francophones and Anglophones, but other than this, I've never heard of racism in Canada. Please, enlighten me on this issue, if you can. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White and Arab, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, lifeguard, swim instructor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

K-FLOYD26904
    Participant
    I THINK THAT PEOPLE GROW INTEREST IN THINGS THAT THEY CAN IDENTIFY WITH. GROWING UP I WAS EXPOSED TO BASKETBALL, FOOTBALL, AND BASEBALL SO NATURALLY THE ATHLETES FROM THOSE SPORTS I IDENTIFY WITH THE MOST REGARDLESS OF COLOR. FOR EX. MY FAVORITE QUARTERBACK OF ALL TIME IS JOHN ELWAY. THAT ALSO APPLIES TO MUSIC AND MOVIES. MY FAVORITE ACTOR IS MORGAN FREEMAN, NOT BECAUSE HE'S BLACK, BUT BECAUSE THERE'S SIMPLY NO ONE BETTER AT WHAT HE DOES.

User Detail :  

Name : K-FLOYD26904, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : DETROIT, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : ADVERTISING EXEC., Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    After years of having the lie shoved down my throat that African American people have contributed little or nothing to the arts, particularly the literary field, I now make it a point to read books written by Black people, for Black people. Little or nothing is taught about the history of African Americans in this country, or our contributions. Right now, my priority is to dispel the nasty little myth that my people contributed nothing.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.