Black people and Chinese food

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

JOHN
    Participant
    MY WIFE WHO IS A PILIPINA (FROM THE PHILIPPINES) AND I BOTH LOVE CHINESE BUFFETS. WE LIKE TO BE ABLE TO PICK AND CHOOSE AND HAVE ALL WE WANT OF CERTAIN ITEMS. WE HAVE EATEN AT MANY DIFFERENT CHINESE BUFFETS AND SEE ALL SORTS OF PEOPLE SUCH AS WHITES, BLACKS, HISPANICS, ETC. FROM MY OBSERVATION BLACK CUSTOMERS ARE NO MORE FREQUENT AT CHINESE BUFFETS THAN ANY OTHER GROUP OF PEOPLE.

User Detail :  

Name : JOHN, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 47, City : Zolfo Springs, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Detention Deputy, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Eric25194
    Participant
    The 'Chinese' food that a lot of Americans eat, not just black Americans, is 'American Chinese' food. It is filled with fat, it's tasty and not that hard to obtain. When someone doesn't feel like cooking, all they have to do is pick up a phone and order take-out. Americans in general do not have as big of a preference for real Chinese food. Some Americans do not even know what real Chinese food is.

User Detail :  

Name : Eric25194, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Vivian H.
    Being from the South I had never eaten rice without sugar until I moved up North. My first taste of fried rice hooked me for life. It was bought at the corner rice house, where most African Americans buy and prefer. Restaurant-style Chinese food is great, too, but the average fried-rice lover gets it off the corner, which is why some people disagree that there is a love of Chinese food in the black community.

User Detail :  

Name : Vivian H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 56, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : chemist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Peter
    Participant
    I admit it, I'm in love with Chinese food! Most of the black folk I know like it, and plenty of whites do, too. It's a convineence food that's highly appealing but widely available in every ghetto and suburb.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jeff
    Participant
    I grew up spending a fair amount of time with my god-parents, who are both Chinese, and over the years, we ate in countless Chinese restaurants in both the U.S. and Canada. As an adult, I still love Chinese food, and eat in Chinese restaurants fairly often. Based on my experience, I have never noticed that blacks frequent Chinese restaurants any more or less than anyone else. Two interesting side points tho - 1) I have noticed that (at least here in the midwest), blacks almost always tend to outnumber whites when dining at the Red Lobster chain, and at the same time, I have very seldom observed Asian people eating in Red Lobster restuarants. 2) My Chinese god-parents used to tell me that if I went into a Chinese restaurant, and didn't notice at least a few tables of Chinese people somewhere in the restuarant, I should go somewhere else because the food probably wasn't very good. Quirky, but sort of logical at the same time, isn't it?

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 33, City : Mishawaka, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Diane
    Participant
    Black people like Chinese food because the Chinese will set-up a restaurant in the black community more often than other cultures. If you go to the Southwest you would ask why black people there love Mexican food. That's because Mexicans will set-up a fast food stand or restaurant in the black community. We do spend money on good food, that's why we encourage the Greek, the japanese and others to bring their cuisines to the ghetto...they'll get rich! Oh by the way, believe me we would love to have other foods in our community, but for the time being, we are fighting just to get grocery stores!

User Detail :  

Name : Diane, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 40+, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Hard, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Chris
    Participant
    Many blacks in America live in poor neighborhoods where enterprising Asians open up Chinese fast food places. Its just something that many grow up on. Like McDonalds.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Jenn
    Participant
    I believe it's because Chinese people cook some of the same things we cook and some of the same ingredients. Like we eat gravy and rice, steamed and fried vegetabales, pork, chicken and beef. Rarely would you find a vegetarian Asian or Black person.

User Detail :  

Name : Jenn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Property Management, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tina24608
    Participant
    There are three Chinese restaurants within a five block radius from my home. The food is cheap. It is not really tasty. Most blacks in the ghetto don't have good eating habits. Usually one parent is working and the other is absent. The single parent rarely has time to cook, and Chinese food is a quick fix.

User Detail :  

Name : Tina24608, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : NA, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Anne T.
    Participant
    I haven't met a person in America over the age of 13 who doesn't like Chinese food.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 34, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : IT, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Julie P.
    Participant
    I live in a city with a very large African-American population, and I have never noticed this phenomenon. In fact, all of the Chinese restaurants I go to seem to be filled with caucasians. I have also noticed quite a few restaurants and food markets owned by Asians that specialize in African-American 'soul food'. I wonder if maybe what you have noticed is more of a socio-economic phenomenon than one based on race or ethnicity? After all, I know an awful lot of 'white' people who order Chinese frequently!

User Detail :  

Name : Julie P., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 32, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

New Age Girl
    Participant
    I think we like Chinese food for the same reasons that most of us like Holiday meals and Soul Food. I guess this is to say that it is good. I like it myself.

User Detail :  

Name : New Age Girl, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 17, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Sondra
    Participant
    I sat thinking about this because, as many others have noted, I really haven't noticed this so-called phenomena. The only thing I can really come up with is the possibility that perhaps the Chinese restaurants you frequented in the United States were in predominately black neighborhoods? It would seem to follow that if you eat Chinese food in a Mexican neighborhood, you will find a lot of Mexicans at the restaurant (Chinese restaurants are so plentiful, that people don't have to drive across town to find one, so there wouldn't necessarily be much mixing of classes/races/etc.), and so forth for different races/classes. If you eat Chinese food in West LA, you're probably going to notice the patrons driving a lot nicer cars than they would be in Echo Park. From my experience, just about everyone likes Chinese food. I grew up in a part of town that was mostly white, with some Hispanics, and until I got my license and starting exploring the city, thought that Hispanic people had an abnormal affinity for Chinese food. In reality, I just hadn't seen enough of the world (or enough Chinese restaurants) to come to a well-rounded conclusion. Chinese food is plain delicious. We all eat it.

User Detail :  

Name : Sondra, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Legal Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Megan
    Participant
    I don't think it has to do with race, but I can understand it being for Americans. We have a very sodium friendly society. Americans love salt, and Chinese food is very salty.

User Detail :  

Name : Megan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Olathe, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ben23353
    Participant
    Trust me, Americans of every race and description love Chinese food. Chinese, Italian and Mexican are arguably the most popular ethnic foods in America. Strangely, however, I think that of the three cuisines, Chinese (Asian) food is almost never prepared by Americans in their own homes, except of course if you are Asian. It's still very exotic to most Americans since we are very averse to visiting other countries. Also, please remember that most Americans love France & the French too.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben23353, Gender : M, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.