Black Wiccans

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Michelle
    Participant
    Recently I've become interested in Wicca and am curious to know if there are any practicing witches who are part of a coven or know any Wiccans who are black.

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rachel G.
    While I'm a mix of Northern European heritage myself, I know a number of African Americans who follow various pagan paths. Unfortunately, there tends to be less healthy diversity than one would like to see in most pagan groups, but that isn't to say that ALL pagans are Caucasian, of course. I run a mailing list for discussions of interest to pagans, and there are at least a few subscribers who I know to be African American, as well as others of other ethnic backgrounds. Thank the gods for the marvelous variety of human beings! And feel free to e-mail me if you'd care to subscribe to my friendly, low-traffic list.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 29, City : Arligton, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicky
    Participant
    There are a lot of Wiccan/Pagan sites on the web, so just type in Wicca or Pagan. My favorite publication is Sagewoman; it's a bi-monthly magazine that is a woman-only forum, and there are many black women who write in to it. I know they do have a web site, and you can find it on the magazine stand at the more progressive bookstores. Try Borders or Bookstop. When I read Sagewoman, I feel so close to the Goddess, and full of love for Her. Contact me through my e-mail and I can send you an e-mail list for Sagewoman. Blessed Be

User Detail :  

Name : Nicky, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 46, City : Ft Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

Kerry
    I'm sure there are black Wiccans. We welcome diversity of all kinds. You can find many web sites on the Internet; there are even listings for covens in your area. Check out metaphysical stores. Also, you don't have to join a group. I have been practicing as a solitary for several years. I am looking to join a group, but doing so is a personal preference. I would like to find a teacher, and so I am looking for a group. Many people never feel that need. Good luck and may the goddess bless you.

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 29, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Morrigan
    Participant
    I'm half black/and half Puerto Rican with a bit of Spanish. I've believed in traditional witchcraft all my life, but discovered I'm a witch about four years ago. I have a natural affinity with magick. I'm a traditional witch, not Wiccan, meaning I'm of the old, pre-Christian religion before Gerald Gardner revived the religion. But just to make things simpler, I'm a witch - since there are only a few minor differences.

User Detail :  

Name : Morrigan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : black, Puerto Rican, Spanish, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 14, City : Effort, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : 10th-grader, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    I know two black Wiccans, but they are not parts of a Coven. It is not necessary to join a coven to pratice Wicca. I am not part of one and have no desire to be in one. But I understand the need to find people who think like you do.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Security Officer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    In the Wiccan and other Pagan groups that I've come in contact with, the majority of the members are white, but black members are present in small numbers and welcomed. While much of Wicca is based on Celtic myths and God/desses, eclectic groups work with Pantheons from all over the world, including African Diasporic traditions. Just realize that if you join most Wiccan groups you will be in the minority - often a minority of one. But I've found that I'm not treated as a token, for all of that.

User Detail :  

Name : G. Schaffer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 47, City : Barnstead, State : NH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Jim
    Participant
    I was Wiccan for a number of years, and was spokesman for a major, world-wide pagan networking organization, so I can speak from personal observation. Blacks are extremely in the minority in Wicca and other neopagan religions. Although Wicca is beautiful on the surface, a great deal of racism exists in the pagan community. Some sects of modern paganism related to Wicca are even overtly racist, such as the Asatru/Odinists, who believe northern Europeans (blonde hair, blue eyes) are the superior race and that all others are 'sub-races.' Hitler based much of his personal belief system on Odinism.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mix of caucasian and Iroquois, Religion : Non-denom. Christian, Age : 30, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, street evangelist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Monique20348
    Participant
    Yes, I myself is an Arican American wiccan and have been practicing for four years. Wiccan has been a source of 'light' for me, mainly because it is one of the few religions who embraces women as well as serves as a portal for the open-mind. If you haven't found any info on the religion but would like to, these books will get you started, which are widely recommended for all who are either just starting out, or who are just curious and would like to study/learn more about it. Wicca. A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner (Scott Cunningham) Living Wicca (Scott Cunningham) These books are also great to have as a part of your personal library :) Hopefully, these books wil get you started and give you some of the info you may be searching for, if you are searchng. I am not apart of a coven, althugh I have considered it, just in the light of meeting new people. I am solitary and find that the freedom is much more suitable for me because I am an eclectic, so it wouldn't be in my best interest to work with a coven. As you progress further and further along this path, you will find it to be rewarding as well as strenghening, due to the fact that you will be able to influence your life in a much more detailed and spiritual way. Goddess Bless, and Good Luck.

User Detail :  

Name : Monique20348, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 26, City : Manhattan, New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jack
    Well, I'm not black, and I'm not a Wiccan (I'm a different sort of pagan), I have met one black Wiccan who is still a Wiccan, and I met one former Wiccan like myself who is black. What she basically said was that Wicca is more European in nature, and a lot of black pagans tend toward more African-based paganism. Of course, this doesn't mean you should change just due to your race (do what's comfortable for you!), but many are just more comfortable with the idea that their cultural heritage is closer to their religion.

User Detail :  

Name : Jack, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Oshkosh, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

MICHELLE20560
    Participant
    Mysticism, witchcraft and the occult have presented a strong appeal to youth. They are quite common on the college campus today. One investigator claims that there is "at least one witch and sometimes a coven, or organized assembly of witches," on each campus. While only a minority of the students actually engage in witchcraft rites, many view it with favor. They say they are searching for something to hold. A warning to all who dabble in witchcraft is contained in the words of Dr. Greeley, who says: "Satanism can be dangerous, as the Manson case and other ritual murders should make clear."Many of the practices and rituals associated with modern witchcraft are strikingly similar to the uncanny aspects of Satanism. Hence, even so-called innocent curiosity can easily lead to occultism. Indeed, many have fallen prey to Satan's evil influence in this way. The Bible condemns divination, sorcery, the practice of magic, the casting of spells, and any attempts to communicate with the dead. It clearly states: "Everybody doing these things is something detestable to GOD." (Deuteronomy 18:10-12) Of course, Christians are determined to "work what is good toward all," and in their ministry they have helped many to break free from all forms of spiritism. (Galatians 6:10; Acts 16:14-18) Nevertheless, true Christians shun any involvement with false worship, including any form of witchcraft.—2 Corinthians 6:15-17 NOTE:Wiccans are followers of Wicca, which is "a pagan nature religion having its roots in pre-Christian western Europe," according to The American Heritage College Dictionary.

User Detail :  

Name : MICHELLE20560, City : HOUSTON, State : TX Country : United States, 

Jamila
    Hello, I know this is kinda late of a response, but I am a practicing pagan, and yes I am black. What sort of questions did you have? maybe I can answer them for you.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamila, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : HUMAN, Religion : Pagan, Age : 24, City : Petersburg, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Laura
    I know your message is years old! But I have been exploring wicca for years without making a commitment, but still not going to my church. I'm not african american. but just found out I may not be white, but american indian... it explains alot. anyway have you joined, did you find a mentor? Where did you go for answers?

User Detail :  

Name : Laura, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Elizabeth, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Massage Therapist, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.