Belief in God: why not?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Calina
    Participant
    I have a really hard time understanding and believing in God, and I still continue to struggle with putting all my trust, love and loyalty in Him. I went to a Catholic school for 14 years, and so I am well aware of God and all about Him, having taken religion classes. Still to this day I am still uncertain of Him, and how He works. If I am struggling in life I pray to Him for guidance, but it seems like everytime I pray for one thing, it always turns out different from what I want. That seems to make me wonder even more. I am trying harder every day to put all my love and trust in God, because I WANT to believe in Him.

User Detail :  

Name : Calina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : David City, State : NE Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Calina
    Participant
    I have a really hard time understanding and believing in God, and I still continue to struggle with putting all my trust, love and loyalty in Him. I went to a Catholic school for 14 years, and so I am well aware of God and all about Him, having taken religion classes. Still to this day I am still uncertain of Him, and how He works. If I am struggling in life I pray to Him for guidance, but it seems like everytime I pray for one thing, it always turns out different from what I want. That seems to make me wonder even more. I am trying harder every day to put all my love and trust in God, because I WANT to believe in Him.

User Detail :  

Name : Calina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : David City, State : NE Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nadine20242
    Participant
    Apparently you have never heard of a thing called 'faith'. I know God exists because without Him I would not be here. I was born weighing 1 pound 12 oz. and was in neo-natal intensive care for six months. I have complications due to my prematurity, but I do not blame God. In fact, I thank Him for letting me live. As for your response, you are to be pitied. I honestly feel sorry for you. You do not know what you are missing in a life filled with the joy of Him and His love. In fact, He loves you too. I'm not trying to impose my beliefs on you, but I hope someday you will see the light before it is too late.

User Detail :  

Name : Nadine20242, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : ADD/OCD/Tourette's Syndrome, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Dallas/FW area, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : college student (at the moment), Education level : High School Diploma, 

BT
    Participant
    Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. I think that, to some extent, what you believe is influenced by your upbringing. For instance, although my parents consider themselves Christian, they did not incorporate much religion into my upbringing. Whether they intended to or not, my moral and ethical viewpoint evolved outside of a particular religion's framework. So it was difficult for me to believe the first person who told me that - to pick an example - Jesus Christ died for humanity's sins, and I would avoid damnation only by accepting him as my savior. It would probably be just as difficult to accept this if I was raised in the Jewish, Muslim, or Buddhist tradition. In any case, because I have a non-religious upbringing, I don't have a strong belief in God. I accept the fact that he, she, or it may exist. Or, that he/she/it may not exist. Or even a number of possibilities in between, such as a greater spirit which may or may not be sentient or judging. Of equal, if not greater interest to me is, why do *you* have the beliefs that you do? Is it because, like me, you are carrying on the religious traditions from your childhood? If so, who is to say that there is a 'loving God who created all things'? If you were raised in a different time and place, your beliefs would likely reflect, to some extent, the prevailing beliefs of your culture. Of course, if you are a convert, and made a firm and deliberate break with your upbringing to believe in what you currently do, then that's a different story. That's a little beyond my experience.

User Detail :  

Name : BT, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 28, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Lawyer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Susan
    Participant
    god creates man, man rapes, god rapes. look at tobacco makers and lung cancer. are they free from any responsibilty? or gun makers and people who shoot people. god is toxic. god is an excuse to kill, god is an excuse to blow things up. no god...no war.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 22, City : Parma, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Erin
    Participant
    Because people hate truth. We have a hard time accepting it. So we do everything to make it as we want it until we are comfortable.

User Detail :  

Name : Erin, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 20, City : Fort Lauderdale, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Pat
    Participant
    I don't believe in your god or allah, or (name any popular version). I believe there were great spiritual teachers, but that they were men. I believe that there is a creative force, I just don't believe in man's personification of that force. I'm a buddhist and there are lot's of deity variations in buddhism, but they are considered aspects (visualizations of qualities) of the divine, or teachers, not 'god' in the sense you mean. I don't think we are evolved enough or smart enough to even come close to understanding the cosmos. I also don't believe god stepped out of the heavens to deliver messages, or that one group was given the patent on truth. While the scriptures (of any faith) may have been the result of spiritual inspiration, I feel it is only relevent for that individual, or as a teaching tool. I don't think it is meant to be taken literally or that there is any 'one' answer. I think gaining spiritual insight and growth is a process that requires individual effort, not blind faith.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 41, City : phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

BRIDGET CHIBUOKE
    Participant
    STOP TELLING PEOPLE GOD DOESN'T EXIST.THERE WILL BE A TIME FOR YOUR JUDGEMENT DAY.DON'T PUT YOUR FAMILY AND\OR CHILDREN TO HELL.THE DEVIL HAS WON YOU AND IS LAUGHING IN YOUR FACE BECAUSE YOU DONT BELIEVE GOD OR HIM EXIST.PLEASE GO TO CHURCH,PRAY,SEE A PRIEST,READ THE BIBLE,SAVE YOURSELF FROM A LIFE OF SUFFERING.THIS IS NOT FUNNY,GOD DOESN'T THINK SO,EITHER.WHERE DO PEOPLE LIKE HITLER AND POPE JOHN PAUL 11 GO,NOT TOGETHER.SCIENCE AND RELIGION ALWAYS HAD A BATTLE,BUT AT THE END GOD WINS.PLEASE GOD LOVES YOU,DON'T LET HIM DOWN.

User Detail :  

Name : BRIDGET CHIBUOKE, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : BIRACIAL, Religion : Catholic, Age : 13.5, City : DALLAS, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

God-fearing
    Participant
    To tHe ignorant person who said that religion is a superstition idea and that there is no God, who do you think created man, man just created himself out of thin air? WHere's the science and logic in that? And don't tell me that we evolved from apes, because if that was the case all apes would be humans.

User Detail :  

Name : God-fearing, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.