Be fruitful and multiply … ’til when?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ethan-J
    Participant
    God commanded Jews, Christians and Muslims to populate the world. When do people of these faiths think they should stop?

User Detail :  

Name : Ethan-J, Gender : M, Religion : Agnostic, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, 

Michael
    Participant
    Ethan,I have pondered this question for years. If love was in Religion maybe they would do the right thing and slow the population so everyone could eat. Statistics show 50,000 people are born per day and 40,000 die of starvation. I don't get it either.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Eric Stone
    Participant
    The simple, somewhat facetious answer is: when God commands us to stop. On a more analytical level, most Christians believe that Christ will return to the Earth to reign (with many variations between different Christian denominations on how this will occur and what it means.) Presumably at that time (or at some point thereafter) the Earth will reach the final, permanent population level that God wants. From the Latter-day Saint (LDS/Mormon) viewpoint, there is also the factor that we believe that the spirits of those who have lived, now live, or ever will live on the Earth all lived with God before the Earth was created. This means there are a finite number of spirits waiting to be born. When the last one comes to Earth, that's it--no more babies.

User Detail :  

Name : Eric Stone, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 32, City : Orem, State : UT Country : United States, Occupation : webmaster, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Within the next century, the world's population could reach a critical mass. When critical mass is achieved, the food chain will collapse thus making this world unsuitable for human life. How much should we multiply?

User Detail :  

Name : Christopher D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Barry
    Participant
    God also gave us disease, which man has tried to eradicate by playing God. No one wants someone they love to suffer, but we only have to look to the animal kingdom where the strong survive. It looks like man will reach the age of 120 and then 150 in coming generations. Man only reached the ripe old age of 30 something at the time of the founding of the great religions. Yes, disease should be eradicated, but at the cost of overpopulation? Can't the Vatican get their act together and figure out that there are just too many people in the world today? Mandatory birth control is the only answer if disease is eliminated.

User Detail :  

Name : Barry, City : Toronto, State : FL Country : Canada, 

Dan
    Participant
    Back in Biblical days, the world population numbered probably around 40 million. If you've ever taken an environmental biology course and saw the line graph of the rise of the human population, it goes up a slight bit after 40,000 BC, rises extremely gradually, then around 1890 it literally skyrockets from under 100 million to 6 billion today. Medicine, technology, improved conditions, and promiscuity or sexual proliferation without birth control all have contributed to this. I think we're done populating the earth, and decline would be beneficial. I don't disagree with birth control (I only want 2 or 3 kids at the very most), except for abortion. But non-Catholic countries (from my personal observation) are the ones that have the biggest problem with birth control (the Pope doesn't have much clout in India). An interesting note, a child born in America uses 50 times more resources in its lifetime than one born in 3rd world poverty. Perhaps both decline and improved ecology must be instituted.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.