Barefoot in the Park, and the 7-11, and the…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

E-Ford
    Participant
    Ive noticed that white people tend to go barefoot into businesses such as supermarkets, 7-11's, etc. Why is that? Is it a cultural thing? Does it not hurt their feet? Is the skin texture different from everybody else's?
    Original Code R441. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : E-Ford, Race : Black/African American, Age : 37, City : Virginia Beach, State : VA Country : United States, 

Darren
    Participant
    I go barefoot a lot, and I have had blacks and whites tell me they like to go barefoot, too, but are afriad they'll be kicked out of places if they do. Some people erroneously believe that 'health codes' prevent bare feet in stores, etc., but this is not true. Going barefoot is healthy and natural and definitely not 'lower class' (talk about your stereotypes). Try walking around barefoot on grass to see how good it can feel!

User Detail :  

Name : Darren, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 35, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : reflexologist, writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John29184
    Participant
    I think going barefoot is more of a southern culture thing and than black/white cultured one. I was born in Washington DC and then we moved to North Carolina while i was a child. I had never seen people barefoot until i came to Carolina. In the 'country' (and yes, Virginia is also considered the south aka 'country'), i think people go barefoot because they can do so more freely...less broken glass, pollution and stuff, than in the city. Not saying that either setting is absolute and certainly times have changed since my parents we growing up, working on a farm in the humid weather, but i've just seen many more southern barefooters than up north.

User Detail :  

Name : John29184, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Durham, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : publisher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lucy-H22642
    Participant
    I go barefoot a lot around my house and in my yard. Once in awhile I walk down the street to a neighbor's without my shoes on because the weather is hot and I am more comfotable without my shoes. Personally, I would never go into a store without shoes because I feel that it is tacky. But everybody has different ideas about what is acceptible. The truth is that anybody can toughen the bottoms of their feet, all they ahve to do is go barefoot for awhile. There are cultures all over the world where the people rarely or never wear shoes. It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22642, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicky
    Participant
    I have never seen this enough to think of it as a 'white thing'. I don't understand the no shoes-no service thing. I think feet are a lot cleaner than shoes. The one thing I've noticed when it comes to a racial/footwear issue is Black people wearing slippers out in public. I'm sure it's for comfort, but why not get a comfortable pair of street shoes. I've also noticed a lot of Black people will break down the backs of perfectly good shoes to wear them as slip-ons.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicky, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 46, City : Ft Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

Kat26790
    Participant
    Here in the South, the folks dashing into the 7-11 or supermarket barefoot also look like they could use a good scrubbin', and maybe a lice dip, too. Repeating fourth grade's not out of the question, either... I'm white, and tenderfooted as can be. The only place you'll find me going barefoot, into a business, might be at the beach, where shoes are superfluous anyway. I can't imagine walking barefoot across a parking lot where people regularly spit and leave garbage, oil spots and broken glass behind. Barefoot at the farm, enjoying the grass between my toes...? You bet!

User Detail :  

Name : Kat26790, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 29, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : training developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Beth
    My family and I like to go barefoot, too. We can well afford shoes. Going barefoot is just so natural and healthy - your feet get thicked-skinned (not calloused) if you go barefoot a lot. Children love going barefoot, and if any of you have children, I would encourage you to allow them to do so as much as possible. For more information, visist see www.unshod.org.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 39, City : n/a, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : part-time sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

michael-Xaiver
    Participant
    I think that you should be able to go anywhere barefoot. If people can go half-naked too sporting events then how come I can't juust kick off my shoesfor a while?

User Detail :  

Name : michael-Xaiver, City : Zionzville, State : IN Country : United States, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.