Baptist denomination – or the latest fashion?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jessica
    Participant
    I saw a black woman I know who is a very devout Christian wearing a cap resembling a Jewish yarmulke. It was a little larger, and made of white satin. Is this part of perhaps a Baptist sect? I seem to recall hearing somewhere that women need to cover their heads in church as a sign of respect, but this instance was at a graduation ceremony. Can anyone enlighten me as to her religious affiliation and the reason for this article of clothing? Or perhaps it was just a fashion statement?

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Framingham, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Candi
    Participant
    People are often just plain ignorant or are simply very creative with what they find when shopping for clothing. They go shopping at thrift stores and such and improvise the use of articles they find there, often being ignorant of the original intent of the item. For example: Mantillas are traditionally worn by women (usually Spanish or Italian) as a head covering in many of the more traditional Catholic churches, or by older women at the more modern Catholic churches. I've seen a non-Catholic co-worker use a mantilla as a scarf, draped over one shoulder and tucked into her skirt on the opposite side. I've even seen women use house shoes as street shoes. It could very well be that that woman had no idea what a yarmulke was. Or perhaps it was just a hat that looked like a yarmulke to you.

User Detail :  

Name : Candi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 51, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Educator, 

KJ
    Participant
    I don't think that using this is ignorant, or being 'creative' in this sense. I know that many Pentecostal or Baptist women will go to church with either the white satin covering that you described, or a hat. I've seen it often where I grew up on women going to church.

User Detail :  

Name : KJ, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.