Baldness frowned upon?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Andy23943
    Participant
    Is it true that U.S. society values men with a full, thick head of hair more than those of us who are going bald or are bald? Why?

User Detail :  

Name : Andy23943, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Albany, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nan
    Participant
    I'm not sure about the whole society, but I find bald men very attractive, and I'm not the only one in my circle to think so. If anything, U.S. society will prejudge based on physical appearance (as we unfortunately tend to do) but not on lack of hair, rather how you deal with it. I know if I saw a man who was losing his hair and had that sad little crop of eight greasy hairs combed over the top of a shiny bald head in a pathetic attempt to fool himself or others into thinking he still has the hair he had in his twenties, I would find it unattractive, but only because the kind of personality that would attempt such self-deceit is unattractive to me. A man who begins to lose his hair and decides to not even try to look well kept anymore would also be unattractive, but again, not because of the lack of hair, but because of the lack of self-respect. As for me and more than a couple of friends, there are few things sexier than a bald man who knows it and works with it. Not only are smooth, clean heads neat and trim looking, but baldness is a natural and very male trait. Just like large breasts and curvy hips scream 'woman,' a bald head is such a male thing that it can't help but be a turn-on. It's also a sign that you've been around the block - and men just get finer and finer with age.

User Detail :  

Name : Nan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 25, City : Albuquerque, State : NM Country : United States, Occupation : Television Director, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A. Jacobi
    Participant
    Bald is OK. I have dated many balding men and it didn't bother me. Many men look better bald! I think it's important what you do with your remaining hair. Don't go for a combover, grow it out long in the back, or do a "Donald Trump.'" Those looks make it seem you are embarrased and insecure about your looks. It nomally looks better if a guy just cuts his remaining hair short or shaves it completely.

User Detail :  

Name : A. Jacobi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Alexandria, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sallina H.
    The reason many women in the United States prefer a man with a full head of hair is the same reason men prefer women who are a size 5 rather than 15. There are beauty standards for both genders, and it just so happens that the media decided to portray a full head of hair on a man as the standard of beauty. If it had happened the other way around, it would be the guys with all their hair who would be confused why women reject them.

User Detail :  

Name : Sallina H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Ph.D. student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Chris
    Yes, absolutely. Thick hair connotes health and youth. Also, most people's faces just aren't attractive enough to pull off the no-hair deal. Yul Brynner looked great. He's the only one I can think of. Hair can often balance out or distract from features that are a bit out of proportion, e.g., a big nose, beady eyes, crooked teeth, no lips, receding chin, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Secular Humanist, Age : 32, City : rockland, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Clerk, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jenn31006
    Participant
    The issue is more about how men handle going bald. If a man is bald or balding and doesn't try to hide it (ie. a combover or baseball cap), no one will think anything of it. Personally I find bald sexy, as do many of my girlfriends. My suggestion: if you are balding, Bic it!

User Detail :  

Name : Jenn31006, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Admin, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MrsCoop
    Participant
    So many commercials, so much fuss. My own sister teases her husband relentlessly about his thin spot. Please. She has a friend who is completely bald, yet she says nothing to him about it. And you know what? He looks great. So do a lot of bald guys I have known. The only ones who look silly are those who try to hide it. A combover is hideous, but a nicely trimmed head, even if some skin is showing, is always a turn-on. I sure hope I'm not alone in this, or I may never see the end of the Rogaine commercials.

User Detail :  

Name : MrsCoop, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 27, City : E Stroudsburg, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Christy
    Participant
    Since I was 14 I have had a thing for bald men. I don't know how the United States in general views baldness, but my friends and I agree that bald = hot.

User Detail :  

Name : Christy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : american, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : starving college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Bill23227
    Participant
    Because I started losing my hair a few years ago, I bought a set of hair clippers and now I buzz-cut my head frequently. I alway have people who want to rub my newly shorn scalp. And friends tell me I look good. On the other hand, I have a friend whose hair loss is greater than mine, and he does the combover. I tell him he should just shave his head, but he is vain. Yes, occasionally I see a guy with a great head of hair and get jealous. But for the most part, I like my shaved head. And so do lots of others.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill23227, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Ft Dodge, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.