Bad Black Drivers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

JimL
    Participant
    Why are black people in general, and black women in particular, such poor drivers? I have spent a good amount of time on the highway between Jacksonville and Atlanta, and 90% of the time, the driver going slow in the passing lane is black. I also see quite of bit of bad driving here in town (Jacksonville) and a good portion of the time the car is driven by a black person, and more often than not by a black woman.

User Detail :  

Name : JimL, City : Jacksonville Beach, State : FL Country : United States, 

AmberW
    Participant
    I suggest you get out of Jacksonville...I do not notice that here or any other place I have visited. Blacks have to pass the same driving test as everyone else.

User Detail :  

Name : AmberW, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Greenville, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JohnnyM
    Participant
    Maybe it's different down there, but in greater New York/New Jersey, bad drivers come from ALL ethnic backgrounds!

User Detail :  

Name : JohnnyM, City : Greater New York, State : NJ Country : United States, 

MargaretKauser
    Participant
    In the San Francisco area of California, Asians are blamed for bad driving. I didn't realize this was a regionalized thing! More often than not, when someone is driving poorly, they are of any race, but tend to be older, therefore more cautious? Marg K

User Detail :  

Name : MargaretKauser, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Depression, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 52, City : Belmont, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

DanC
    I have seen every race drive badly, but I do admit when I drive through detroit, I can tell I am there before looking at signs in part to the driving (although I don't have time to look to see what race they are because their driving is usually so bad I am trying to stay alive). I am tempted to think it might be more a regional thing.

User Detail :  

Name : DanC, City : Royal Oak, State : MI Country : United States, 

Dot
    Participant
    I have never noticed bad driving as being more prevalent amongst blacks. In my town it's young Latino males perpetrating much of the traffic nonsense (a lot of hit and runs of late). However, I have noticed a certain segment of the African-American populace who aren't very good pedestrians. They seem to walk intentionally slowly through crosswalks, giving the stopped drivers stinkeye the whole way and forcing people to miss lights because they are essentially jaywalking throughout the duration of the green light. Like most things, I only notice this is poorer neighborhoods. Blacks in Westwood, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills don't do this.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
    I suggest that the problem is not with black drivers, but with your perception. Since I don't know your ethnic background, I'll use myself for an example. If I get cut off by somebody who's a lot like me, I'll usually just think, "What a jerk." However, if I see something that helps me to think "this driver is different from me," I grab onto it. "That nut with the Sarah Palin bumper sticker just cut me off!" "You just cut me off. Go back to Texas, you gun-totin' yokel!" "He cut me off. Ahhh, figures. He's a Florida Gators fan. They don't understand common decency." You will see what you want to see, and you won't see what's not important to you.

User Detail :  

Name : JackWheeler, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.