Back to Africa?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

B23441
    Participant
    Some African Americans, in the Y? Forum and in the media, express anger over being 'forced here' through slavery. Yet it was their ancestors, not them, who were enslaved. Are there African Americans today who would really rather live in Africa (Rwanda, Ethiopia, Sudan, Nigeria, etc.) than in America, even if slavery could be erased from history?
    Original Code R501. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : B23441, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Kokomo, State : IN Country : United States, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I've read that blacks in America, even poor blacks live much better than most Africans, where dirt poverty and famine are common. Yes, slavery was a horrible thing, but I agree that it was a long time ago and it's time for blacks to stop blaming slavery for their every problem. Life is hard and unfair for everyone. Success takes hard work. There are not shortcuts. Look at Obama! Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    My area is full of young people whose parents risked life and limb to get to the US, work illegally and have children who are US citizens. Now that those anchor babies are teens and young adults they do nothing but bitch about this country. I would ask them the same question, "would you rather be living in Mexico?". But to do so is considered racist. They don't seem to acknowledge that many of Mexico's problems are due to the corruption of the Mexican government and not every ill in the world was caused by the United States, the country that gave them their free education, standard of living, et al.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
    ...of what, I won't say. I've never read on Y, any AA's express that they'd personally been "forced" here. I think what you'd REALLY like is for us not to discuss the history of the past wrong doings and evils of this country because it makes you uncomfortable. Too bad.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.