Atheists’ hostility

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant
    First, atheists are targeted by many fundamentalist Christians for conversion, which may be annoying to them. Second, to be atheist requires a leap of faith equal to that of any deist. Most people don't like to have their belief structure challenged. However, many people call themselves atheist because they are not familiar with agnosticism. Those people are probably not so touchy.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

H.
    As a couple of the other respondents have noted, it is more common in our society for so-called Christians to attack atheists than vice versa. While I have noticed some hostility towards and disrespect of Christians among atheists, the attacks by fundamentalist Christians on those they disagree with are far more severe. A true Christian must first be loving towards all, must not judge others, and must respect that everyone has free will. I try to remember Christ's example and treat everyone with love and respect. To give one example of why people might feel hostile against these un-Christian fundamentalist 'Christians', witness the organized opposition to legal recognition of same-sex marriage and other basic human rights. These fundamentalists have caused incredible harm and pain to millions of families across America and the world.

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

NadyaB
    Participant
    A University of Minnesota survey showed that atheists are the most distrusted minority in America, more distrusted than homosexuals, more distrusted than Muslims. Over 50% of people surveyed said they would never vote for an atheist or let their child marry one. Did the atheists do something to deserve such contempt? No. Since the days of the early orthodox church fathers atheists have been seen as instruments of the devil, and it continues to this day. People think atheists are devil-worshippers, they are pimps (um, ok?), and they control inordinant amounts of wealth. I would be extremely belligerent too if people came up to me and asked if I worshiped the devil and tried to convert me. I'm a Gnostic and unfortunately orthodox Christians have tried to convert me to their orthodox beliefs too.

User Detail :  

Name : NadyaB, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Bipolar disorder, Race : Swexican, Religion : Gnostic, Age : 22, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.