Are “accents” considered rude?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DM28954
    Participant
    You know how people from almost every state have some kind of accent from that state? if they go to another state, do people think they are talking rude to them? I mean, it seems natural to me.

User Detail :  

Name : DM28954, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Durham, State : CT Country : United States, 

Mara
    Participant
    As someone who's been coast-to-coast and border-to-border I can tell you that usually people find accents interesting and charming. If the accent is really pronounced they'll often ask where you're from, why you moved, about your family, etc.But there are also people who will label you with regional stereo-types (which can be annoying). Some people assume that Southerners are uneducated hicks. Or Californians are lazy and superficial, Midwesterners are polite and up-tight, Northeasterners aren't very friendly, etc. It's kind of tiresome having to live down your accent, but once people get to know you they'll usually start to ignore it and just treat you like anyone else.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    It would be ridiculous to think that regional accents are rude. Some people enjoy others who are different and enjoy hearing different accents; others are fearful of anything different. When it comes to Southern accents, my college speech teacher said that (rightly or wrongly) Northerners think that women with Southern accents are charming, that men with Southern accents are dumber than average. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    I live in a county that prints its voting materials in 102 different languages. It's rare enough in my neighborhood to encounter anyone who even speaks adequate English that I pay no mind to regional accents.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.