Are Afro American women the beauty standard?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Pat
    Participant
    I have read many opinions pointing out that traits that resemble those of African-American women are the idealized standards of beauty. For example, Angelina Jolie is popular for her very full lips, and Jennifer Lopez is popular for her round bottom. They both have traits typical of African (American) women. Is it possible that African (American) women are the idealized beauty?

User Detail :  

Name : Pat, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : na, State : NY Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Paul S.
    Participant
    I'm more inclined to believe mixed race women are the beauty standard. That is certainly what Jay-Lo is. She's Puerto Rican, and hence of mixed race. Americans only want so much coffee in their cream. I doubt if they are as enthralled with black noses or hair. One trait you failed to mention is big breasts. Go to any black middle school in America and you'll see any number of eighth-grade girls who wear double-D bras. On the other hand, white women have made a billion-dollar business of the fake boob industry.

User Detail :  

Name : Paul S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 32, City : Oak Park, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : software engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Julie
    Participant
    The answer is 'yes' and 'no.' There are traits black women are stereotyped as having (large breasts, large bottoms, full lips) that are considered very desirable. Unfortunately, there are traits black women are stereotyped as having that are considered equally undesirable. Note the word 'stereotyped.' Is it possible to be both admired and detested at the same time? You bet.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Woodbridge, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Event Planning, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nelson-A20191
    Participant
    I come from a country of beauty queens. Venezuela is the country that has won the most beauty pageants in the world, even though our population is less than California's. Venezuela is a true melting pot, where the mix is the majority. So, the beauty queens here have those black-derived features that you mention, plus the white features (big bust, skin complexion, facial features, hair) plus the indigenous features (exotic eyes, hair and sex appeal). Even the white-skinned blonde girls here have curvy hips and round bottoms. This is what I believe to be the standard of beauty, a mix of the most desirable characteristics from these three races.

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson-A20191, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : Lawyer/Business, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Julie27032
    Participant
    I think the answer is 'yes' and 'no'. Full lips, round bottoms and large breasts are characteristics that black women are stereotyped as having, and it is apparent that these things are currently considered to be extremely attractive/desireable in our society. Unfortunately, there are other characteristics that black women are stereotyped as having that are considered to be equally unattractive. Is it possible to be admired and hated at the same time? You bet.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie27032, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Woodbridge, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nikki-T
    Participant
    Why do you think J.Lo garnered so much attention for having a big butt when you can step outside your door and find millions of black women built the same if not better than her? Because it's easier to take certain black characteristics piecemeal than to admit admiration for black beauty. But let me digress: is black beauty the standard? Sure. But when, say, Bo Derek wears cornrows, Pamela Anderson gets collagen injections in her lips, or some other white female dons 'self-tanning' cream, who do you think still gets the credit? It would literally kill some people to knock white women off their pedestals, so it's easier to focus on 'parts' rather than the whole.

User Detail :  

Name : Nikki-T, Gender : F, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Kristina
    I'm sorry, I'm a black woman, and I do not agree with that statement at all. Black woman's features are NOT the standard of beauty... to me white features are. When you look on television, the 'Blonde Bombshell' image still is considered more attractive -- a woman with white skin, blue eyes, blond hair, and a thin body with big breasts. What may be mistaken as a desire for 'black' features in beauty is probably more 'feminine' characteristics. Black women for instance have bigger breasts than white or Asian women, but just because a white or Asian woman gets implants doesn't mean they are trying to look more 'black.' This is the same with the a woman's bottom. There are probably exceptions to the rule, such as non-black women seeking full lips, but generally and unfortunately, the white features will be more favored for what is considered beautiful in the media and to a lesser extent in society.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Yajaira
    Participant
    Nikki T.: I don't think white folks tanning or using fake tanners constitutes an attempt to look African. There are various shades of Caucasion skin - from very light northern European tones to the darker olive complexions in the south. The darkest tan would only make light-skinned people look like southern Europeans, not Africans. I can only assume that your theory is rooted in your anger at an appearance contrary to your own being the social 'ideal' - prompting you to look for any evidence of 'blackness' in the ideal.

User Detail :  

Name : Yajaira, Gender : F, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Shari
    Participant
    The assertion that full lips and rounded figures are exclusively 'African' traits is ludicrous. There are many light-skinned people (and darker-skinned but non-African people) with full lips and full figures. Just because the current U.S. trend is to be lean does not mean that those whose bodies conform are 'naturally' that way, but more likely created through diet and exercise. And those with full lips are more likely to be noticed now that they are in vogue, than before, when they were not.

User Detail :  

Name : Shari, Gender : F, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, 

JAMARA
    Well now, it's about time you all realized this. Black women (and men) have known this for decades. Remember when white women were getting lip implants? We said, 'They're taking our lips.' Now J Lo's ass is all the rage. Hmmm, ever heard of the Hottentot Venus? Her behind was out to THERE!! Now we just sit back and laugh...

User Detail :  

Name : JAMARA, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : hampton, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : exec asst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

J21104
    Participant
    Logically if you are mixed race you can have the best features of both or the worst of both. I think differences are what makes people attracted to each other. Black women have never had their beauty idolized because black men never worked hard enough to pedestal it. If anything balck women should get on black men about our beauty you don't see Asian or Jewish or English constantly dating out of thei race like black men.

User Detail :  

Name : J21104, City : L.A, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.