Any old-fashioned young men left?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

John22055
    Participant
    Because there is no incentive to do so. I perform many of these 'courtesies' out of habit, but if I were doing it purely for some kind of reward or display of mutual appreciation, I'd be sorely disappointed with the returns. Young people want to be cool and being a gentleman is just not cool.

User Detail :  

Name : John22055, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Springfield, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Adrienne
    Participant
    Between the ages of 22 - 33, the testosterone is raging. When you have so many women hungry for a one-night 'good time', showing everything their mamma's gave them, it's hard for a growing man to resist temptation. I am a Christian and my Bible says that a man who finds a good wife finds a good thing. Most times they figure this one out after it's too late. Either they have baby's-mamma-drama or aids or just a bad attitude towards women. Just Pray! That's the old fashion way!

User Detail :  

Name : Adrienne, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Greenvill, State : MS Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

DanielPfalmer
    Participant
    It's a consequence of equal rights. As society has progressed so that women are more equal to men they lost the idea that women are weak and need to be protected and assisted all the time. It's kind of an either or situation. You can either be equal to men or not. If you are equal, do you even open his car door?

User Detail :  

Name : DanielPfalmer, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Fairbanks, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I was in my 20's when Women's Lib started. I believe in equal rights, equal pay, etc. for women, but I think many women who felt victims of oppression and unfair treatment went to the opposite extreme to show their independence and,in the process, lost their sense of humor and perspective. It's ironic because the behaviors you describe are a sign of respect to women and some women react stupidly to your opening a car door by saying, "I can do it myself". Of course they can. That's not the issue. These are not the women you want. They need to chill out. I've always appreciated these courtesies from men and ALWAYS thank them, not just out of gratitude, but to encourage them to keep doing these things. It must be confusing to men over 45 - damned if you do, damned if you don't.

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MikeJ
    Participant
    It probably has something to do with how you look.

User Detail :  

Name : MikeJ, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 20, City : Cedar Rapids, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I'm late middle age & I find that most American men lack these manners, not just the young ones. I once dated an Austrian man who'd move to the U.S. His manners were impeccible. It was lovely. Made me feel special and very worthy. Another reason, I believe, is technology. Technology, e.g. social networking promotes anonymity and that can bring out the worst in some people. Another example of technology: in the past men opened the passenger door of their car for the woman. Now, the guy presses the button on his car key to open all doors and usually walks around to his side of the car ignoring the woman. Have other women been bothered by this? Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.