Another struggling white guy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dean19558
    Participant
    Why does the scale seem so tipped when it comes to the white male having opportunities in the work world? I can't tell you how many times I've heard of under-qualified minorities taking jobs from well-trained people. I understand teaching minorities how to take care of themselves, but I believe shortening the finish line only weakens minorities and good, healthy competition.

User Detail :  

Name : Dean19558, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Howell, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Cal19583
    Participant
    It seems that affirmative action tips the scales against you only because you don't realize the privelege that comes with being white. We become so used to it that we don't even notice it. I agree with you that affirmative action is a bad idea. State-sponsored racial discrimination is a bad policy regardless of who it favors. But if you believe you are being held back because you are white, that is one hell of a rationalization.

User Detail :  

Name : Cal19583, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 46, City : Lakewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Cynthia-C
    Participant
    It's the other way around in female-dominated careers. Try being female applying to a program that trains you to be an elementary school teacher. Not easy.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia-C, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 26, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Communications, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Cynthia
    Participant
    This is an area where there is a desparate need for males, regardless of race. Education programs often have footnotes in their brochures encouraging men to apply.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 27, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Public Relations, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

carlos
    Participant
    As a 'under-qualified minority' myself,I agree.There does seem to be a 'extra mile' being given to minorities these days in the work feild.However,that is a broad/vague statement--- considering that it is generally 'minorities' that do work the jobs that others don't tend to 'want-to' work.Furthermore, it is also this same system that once oppressed 'minorities' that is now somehow trying to amend/attone for their past actions which perhaps may evidently be the very reason for the 'change of heart'--that is if infact there is no 'alterrior motive 'behind the present 'EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT ACT'---like 'great public appearence'...

User Detail :  

Name : carlos, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : n/a, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : believe in both Jehova and christ, Age : 30, City : Watsonville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : construction/building inspector, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

KMW
    I work at Harvard. Here (and other Ivy Leauge Schools), if your grades are lacking, you can get sports scholarships in Sports like Polo, Water Polo, Horseback Riding, Tennis, Golf, and even Croquet. These 'sports' generally only have white players. Also, these schools are more likely to accept a C student from a wealthy suburban family as opposed to a student with a 4.0 GPA that came from a poor inner-city neighborhood. Corporate America is dominated by whites and it's fair to say that Affirmative action is not affecting that at all. Many corporations only hire minorities in order to meet federally required affirmative action policies and would rather not hire minorities at-all, this is why affirmative action is in place.

User Detail :  

Name : KMW, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    A friend of mine does hiring in his government job. Qualification for the actual job is his last concern. He is highly pressured to hire a minority, a female, someone with disability and military service. If he hires enough of these people then he is finally free to hire someone with the education and experience to actually do the job, but still better yet if this person is not a white male.

User Detail :  

Name : GuyGuyerson, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 45, City : boise, State : ID Country : United States, Occupation : self employed construction, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.