Another fashion question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Greg-C
    Participant
    Why is so much youth fashion so aggressively visually unappealing, sexually unappealing or unflattering to the wearer, such as grunge or baggy styles? What is the first impression the wearers of such clothing wish to convey ? (Similar question regarding the revival of '70s baggy, loose-fitting clothes posted July 17, 1998, by Rocky S., 50s , Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Code A20. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : Greg-C, Gender : M, Age : 35, City : Wellington, State : NA Country : Australia, 

Claire31959
    Participant
    I am a wearer of what you describe as the visually unappealing, sexually unappealing, unflattering style of clothing and I am damn proud of it! The reason I wear such clothes as the dark baggy styles being discussed is because I am an individual and am not wanted to be seen being a follower of the 'in crowd' of my town. I do not copy what other people wear just to fit in to be with these so called 'cool' people. Whether it is sexually appealing or unappealing to others around me is not why I dress like this. For it to be described as unappealing and unflattering by yourself and others alike is beyond me? Afterall I may not agree with what you wear, but would not go around saying that style of clothing is unappealing. If the wearer is happy to be seen in those clothes why should it affect other people? Saying it is sexually unappealing is not true, why would others date those who dress like that? My fiancé is very much like me, after all one of the reasons we are together is because we are so alike in mind and body (clothes style). Being an individual should be congratulated, most are just followers of the social norm. I myself am proud that I wear such clothes and will carry on being me..being as different and individualistic as I can be!

User Detail :  

Name : Claire31959, Gender : F, Age : 18, City : Cambridge, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Claire31958
    Participant
    I wear what you describe as the visually unappealing, sexually unappealing, unflattering style of clothing, and I am damn proud of it! The reason I wear the dark, baggy styles being discussed is that I am an individual and do not want to be seen as a follower of the 'in crowd' of my town. I do not copy what other people wear just to fit in to be with these so-called 'cool' people. Whether it is sexually appealing or unappealing to others around me is not why I dress like this. For it to be described as unappealing and unflattering is beyond me. After all, I may not agree with what you wear, but I would not go around saying that style of clothing is unappealing.

If the wearer is happy to be seen in those clothes, why should it affect other people? Also, saying it is sexually unappealing is not true. Why would others date those who dress like that? My fiancé is very much like me, and one of the reasons we are together is that we are so alike in mind and body (clothes-style).

Being an individual should be congratulated. Most people are just followers of the social norm. I am proud I wear such clothes and will carry on being me - being as different and individualistic as I can be.

User Detail :  

Name : Claire31958, Gender : F, Age : 18, City : Cambridge, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Amma
    Participant
    It may be your opinion that these clothes are unappealing and unsexy. But, from the time I became a teen these clothes have been in style and most of the guys I met wore these styles. I never had the idea in my head that it was unattractive. To me it's always been normal. And now I'm completely used to it and I actually find these styles more attractive than others. I think a guy wearing tight jeans and/or 'preppy' clothing looks very unappealing. To me, the sexiest thing a guy can wear is a pair of baggy jeans. Though, I will admit, I'm not too fond of the look of showing half your underwear. I like the baggy jeans, but I like them to stay at the waist.

User Detail :  

Name : Amma, Gender : F, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 

Be-Be
    Participant
    i ware the baggy cloths and black now. i used to not but a friend of mine did and one day she talked me into going out looked like she did. i found that by doing this i was more able to be myself and have more fun. this was because i was no longer conserned about how i looked. i did not care about how well the outfit made me look or where people thought i looked bad.(i felt i looked funny.) i soon started wareing them more and more. now i am 23 and i still ware the cloth for the same reasons and i do not feel i look funny anymore i am just different.

User Detail :  

Name : Be-Be, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Fort Walton Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

M-Duffeck22524
    Participant
    I wear baggy cloths so they have a real loose fit it isn't for others it is just for me.Alot of people feel that we do it to get arise out of people but some people just do it to try and look good.

User Detail :  

Name : M-Duffeck22524, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 15, City : Greenbay, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

George26134
    Participant
    The baggy, drooping pants fashion originated with the subservient 'bitches' in prison culture. It's a truly sad comment on our 'culture'.

User Detail :  

Name : George26134, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Montgomery, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Jaya
    Participant
    Hello! Its all a matter of opinion isn't it? I dont think anybody could ever look good wearing tight pants up to their belly-buttons. If you ask me, that's just gross.

User Detail :  

Name : Jaya, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Hindu, Age : 16, City : mumbai, State : MA Country : India, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.