Amish teens can use electric hairdryers?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

J.K.
    Is it true that Amish teens do not have to follow Amish traditions such as not using electricity?

User Detail :  

Name : J.K., City : Johnson City, State : TN Country : United States, 

Erika
    Participant
    I think that there is an Amish tradition that when they turn a certain age, somewhere in their 'teens, they are allowed to experience a 'normal' life with electricity and shopping malls and all those other things that most people take for granted and then choose if they want that over their life as an Amish.

User Detail :  

Name : Erika, Gender : F, Religion : Atheist, Age : 15, City : allyn, State : WA Country : United States, 

Dwanny
    Participant
    I have heard that Amish teens get a year 'off' to live in our world to see which path they want to choose. Otherwise they use nothing electric.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 

AnnC
    Participant
    There is a time in which Amish teens go out into the world and experience life we, "the English," do. It's commonly called "rumspringa" and starts around the time of 16. But the vast majority of Amish teens return to the church when this time is over. Also interesting about this: most of the boys wear "English" clothing whereas the girls continue to wear their regular clothes and hairstyles.

User Detail :  

Name : AnnC, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Covington, State : KY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

KaRenaH.
    Growing up in an Amish home, I would like to say that most Amish people are not as backward as the preconceived notion put forth by the media. It is not the case that Amish are not allowed to "use" electricity, most Amish do not have it in their home because they choose to follow a simple modern-free lifestyle. Even so, they themselves modernize and the culture has moved forward incorporating more of the outside world as time passes. A sense of belonging is probably the biggest draw to remain in the Amish community, because since you look differently you fit comfortable into a niche of the world without having to really "be" anything. Even though the religion provides a cocoon sort of protective layer against the outside world, many Amish are in tune with what goes on around them through newspapers and magazines and relatives who have left the Amish and bring news of the outside world within. The shunning bit also is not valid. All of my relationships have remained intact since I have left the Amish way of life. The Amish culture changes demographically--those in PA are different from those in Indiana. The major difference between Amish and non-Amish is the way they dress, and what they do with their time--as far as emotionally and spiritually, its just like every other human being.

User Detail :  

Name : KaRenaH., City : Elkhart, State : IN Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.