Americans: world judges?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Carl
    Participant
    I think I can speculate why 'we' Americans behave in such a (self?)rightous manner. Really, I think this behavour has it's roots in the American south. The further South I have been, I have noticed people are more and more judgemental of each other, sometimes very publicly, as a way to achieve social status for themselves. For a southern-American the way to defend yourself is to appear as charitable and rightous as possible, even if you do more harm than good. As far as I know, it's been like that for a VERY long time, and the south is VERY resistant to change.

User Detail :  

Name : Carl, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Martina
    Participant
    The person who asked that question is from Egypt. Egypt is in Africa. That is not considered to be part of the Middle East.

User Detail :  

Name : Martina, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic and Black, Age : 21, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Roberta G.
    What I'd like to know is, why does the rest of the world keep running to us for protection and money, if they're not interested in receiving either? Of course we can't solve all the world's problems, but apparently other nations can't even solve their own. Are you saying we should ALLOW other nations to murder and oppress their own citizens, as well as those of other countries? To stand by and do nothing--what kind of people do that? We spend lives and money and resources trying to help other nations. Yes, sometimes with an end to gain, such as oil in Kuwait. But the criticism leveled at America from all over the world is out of all proportion, considering how little so many other nations do to help themselves. It seems they're willing to take our help, as long as they don't have to actually be grateful for it.

User Detail :  

Name : Roberta G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 41, City : Jackson, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Annie
    Participant
    I want to answer your question with a question. Why is it that Americans are always wrong no matter what they do? If we don't get involved we are bashed for not helping, if get involved we are bashed for sticking our nose in other countries business and being the 'world's police'. It seems to me we are forced into the role because we have the resources to help and because people expect us to.

User Detail :  

Name : Annie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 24, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, 

Junin420
    Participant
    It's NOT the american people!! It's are damn 'republican'government, the majority of americans only want peace just like everyone else. We aren't that free, are stupid government censors and puts restrictions on tons of things. The regular people here make our country great.

User Detail :  

Name : Junin420, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : La Quinta, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Steve
    Participant
    I agree with the thought that it has a lot to do with money and protecting our oil investments. I also think that some of these countries (i.e. Iraq) have one single, dominant, controlling force that these people can't take care of themselves and/or make their own decisions about, for fear of their lives. I don't think the United States is doing what its doing to be a hero or savior; we're simply avoiding hypocrisy by trying to improve everyone's quality of life. Since when did we become so selfish with our time, money and abilities to deny another human a better quality of life, no matter where the help comes from? I can't remember the last time another country stepped up to help and the United States pushed them away to claim all or any kind of glory. I think they would welcome the help.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Lakeville, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sue27735
    Participant
    We get involved with other people's problems in many arenas. However, no one seems to mind when we are the first to show up with financial aid, food, clothes and emergency assistance. Yet when we are the first to show up with soldiers (usually to protect some group we perceive to be victimized) we get all kinds of grief. I disagree with those people saying that the public doesn't agree with 'most' government policies, we just don't agree with ALL the policies, and we are free to change it. That's why we go to the polls: to vote for the politicians who most closely represent our views. No politician can make every American happy, but even with all its faults, our system of government beats all other forms of government out there. But if you don't believe that, you are welcome to get involved and change it. America is a great country.

User Detail :  

Name : Sue27735, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 45, City : Voorhees, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

mark-hertford
    Participant
    I agree with Kathy and think it comes down to two things. First, regardless of whether the US is the greatest country in the world or not, the fact is America has the largest military and the largest economy. Therefore, during any crisis, the rest of the world always asks, 'will the US intervene?' America only has two choices, intervene or not intervene. With either option, half the world will criticize America. In many cases in which we intervene, like Kosovo, we are doing so strictly for humanitarian reasons. America got nothing tangible out of that mission and we knew it in advance. This crisis was in the EU's (second most powerful force on earth) back yard, but they were too weak and unprincipled to do anything. Much of the world begged the US to act and we did, appropriately. BTW, we stopped genocide against Muslims in that case, but there has been no outpouring of gratitude (nor was there in KLuwait or Somalia). Secondly, if you do the math (go by raw $'s or % of GDP), America is the most generous country in the world. Some surveys dispute this claim, but these surveys only count government funding, not private donations. Most of the world does not get the fact that most of the good things American citizens do happen without government involement. America occassionally makes mistakes, but it's motives are good. Yes, our uncommon status as a multi ethnic democracry means we will not yield the moral high ground to unelected dictators. Why should the US seek moral guidance from leaders who were not democratically elected?

User Detail :  

Name : mark-hertford, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

George21658
    Participant
    I always find it interesting to hear what people of other nationalities think of the United States. I kind of feel like the USA is in a 'no win' situation. There is no denying that the United States is the only true 'Super Power' left in the world. I suppose the definition of Super Power is up for debate, but that is another topic altogether. If the USA practices Isolationism, we will certainly be criticized for being a non-caring, detached society (we get that one a lot as it is). If we get involved financially, militarily or otherwise, we are bullies trying to impose our will and society on the rest of the world. Any time we 'pick a side', there is another 'side' that has been alienated, i.e. Muslims vs. Jews. There is no doubt we are often called upon to assist in global matters when money or a strong military is required (Kuwait, The Balkans, Afghanistan etc.). Even in those instances we are generally looked upon as evil interlopers right up until the conclusion when often a long oppressed society is dancing for joy and gratitude in the streets. Granted, as of late, the USA has taken a more agressive stance. Then again, having 3,000+ citizens die horribly while sipping thier morning coffee will do that to a country. I concede that there are many countries who lose that number and more on a yearly basis. the difference is, the USA is in a position to do something about it. Those other countries often have no other recourse than to ask for America's help while simultaneously burning our flag.

User Detail :  

Name : George21658, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : Manchester, State : NH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Luke
    Participant
    What I have seen is that America is at once the most envied and most resented nation. The paradoxical view that many have pointed out goes much deeper than just war. One of the most recent events that got my attention was the AIDS summit in Africa this year. The U.S. and its allies continue to pony up billions of dollars in aid and pharmaceuticals yet were berated in the press and by the different groups attending as not having done enough. I feel that I live in the most blessed nation on earth. And part of living in this country means that I bless others. I wish my leaders could be as altruistic and benevolent as I strive to be. We are a most envied yet most despised people.

User Detail :  

Name : Luke, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 35, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

tf24724
    Participant
    are you referring to wwi, when we saved france and england from german expansion?? or are you referring to wwii, when we saved the whole fucking world from nazism? or korea, where we kept south korea from being overrun by communist hordes? or vietnam, where we slowed the expansion of communism? or the cold war, when we outlasted the communist ideal of world domination? or the persian gulf war, where we prevented iraq frim taking kuwait, then saudi arabia, and then later maybe even egypt?we 'conquered' japan and germany..look at them now...the USA is the GREATEST country to exist in human history...the world should be kissing our ass

User Detail :  

Name : tf24724, City : flowery branch, State : GA Country : United States, 

PaleRider19849
    Participant
    Not all Americans want to go to war or rule the world. I agree that Americans should stay in America. Specifically, USA citizens should stay in USA and everybody else in the world stay in their designated countries. If you are starving, do without and don't expect anybody to come to your aide. If you are terrorized, deal with it. And if someone ventures to countries other than their own, we should be able to blow them away. I wish everybody would stay away from us and visa versa. Deal with plagues, famine, and disasters of all kinds within your country. We can do without another country's oil. We can make our own warmth and our own food. We shouldn't fight another country's battle with our sons' and daughters' blood. We shouldn't defend any group of people that don't understand us or that we don't understand. We shouldn't try to be a world of 1 type of people with one government and one religion. We are a diverse group in this world and we should stay separated. I want peace for my family and my country, but as long as greed and money is the priority for people, it will never happen. I'm ready for Jesus to come back for me and take me away from hell on earth.

User Detail :  

Name : PaleRider19849, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Not answered, Disability : Not answered, Race : Not answered, Religion : Methodist, City : Newyork, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Keith
    Well, it kinda comes with the turf, you could say. Since we defeated the spread of Communism, we have helped out around the world. What kind of goverment would you prefer to live under? We get involved because a stable, relatively peacefully world is a better world. In the words of President Teddy Roosevelt, “Speak softly and carry a big stick”. Sometimes you need to violently confront a person/country to make the area/world a safer place.

User Detail :  

Name : Keith, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 31, City : Fargo, State : ND Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nathan20135
    Participant
    Americans are just trying to feed their families pay their bills and live. The politicians are the ones you have a problem with. People think that Americans have a say in what happens in the world, HA! we don't even have a say in our own country. We didn't even elect Bush, but he's the president... He had the most money, so he calls the shots for his other rich buddies. People here THINK they have a say, but how is that when the only choice is one filthy rich white man or the other one? Then with the power of the PACs and the Lobbies, average people have NO say in what goes on. I wish that the USA would deal with our own country, lock the borders and send everybody else back to their own country, but the rich have too much to lose, so I have to live in fear of some terrorist crazy trying to crash a plane into me.

User Detail :  

Name : Nathan20135, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30's, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Nicole
    Participant
    It is my opinion as an American that the US does not start these conflicts. We never gave direct cause for a terrorist attack ,we didn't cause vietnam, the korean war, world war 2...we just try to help end them. Sometimes, the help isn't very helpful. But people misinterpret that because of growing bias against Americans, even though all we ever try to do is help.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.