American Sign Language

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Befuddled23317
    Participant
    I have been told that deaf people using ASL use code words instead of other people's names. Since there are no signs for names and since it is cumbersome to spell out names every time, people use other common signs to refer to people. However, my contact said that these 'codes' are always unflattering. Deaf people will name their co-workers 'fatso,' 'hook nose,' 'bitch,' 'baldy,' 'stupid,' and what have you. Is this true? Are the signs deaf people use in place of the names of the people they know always negative and derisive?

User Detail :  

Name : Befuddled23317, City : Tulsa, State : OK Country : United States, 

KaylaL
    Name signs are given by Deaf people to other Deaf people or as a sort of gift to hearing people that they want to include in their culture. They usually mix the first letter of the persons name with a personality trait or physical feature. I have only seen four name signs that could be considered negative and derisive. These signs meant, in essence: stupid, shy, large ego, and crazy. All of the name holders were proud of these signs except maybe the girl called shy, but if she didn't like it she was too shy to say anything about it. A Deaf person is rarely 'stuck' with a name sign if they hate it they can change it, just as they would if it no longer made sense. I once knew a women who's name sign was based on her long hair, she changed it when she cut her hair short. Your contact was either ignorant or pulling your leg. My name sign was given to me by a very dear friend and means 'cool'.

User Detail :  

Name : KaylaL, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : St. Augustine, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.