Am I just too sensitive?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Calvin
    Participant
    It's sometime normal for people to be too sensitive. Like me, I m like that. I'm sensitive almost about everything. Just be yourself and everything will be good. People say I'm too sensitive. So what if they said that? You know who you are. It is good to be what you want to be.

User Detail :  

Name : Calvin, Gender : M, Age : 15, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, 

Dan-C27320
    Participant
    Kat, you are way too sensitive, young lady. You should be p***ed off at those gays for taking such a nice word like "gay" and using it for themselves. Get ahold of yourself! All of us normal people should take back the word gay and give them another word to describe themselves.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan-C27320, Gender : M, City : Omaha, State : NE Country : United States, 

Anna23827
    Participant
    I understand what you mean and agree. Anyone who uses 'gay' to describe anything other than sexual orientation is being homophobic. I just don't think other people see a problem with being homophobic or don't realize it.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna23827, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : Cedar Falls, State : IA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29917
    Participant
    Kid, Political Correctness has done more damage to this country than World Wars I and II together. Besides, gay is not an offensive term like fag or queer, anyways. You are being too sensitive.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29917, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Italian/European, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Piedmont, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Management, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matt-C21993
    Participant
    I'm not sure if I find characterizing something one doesn't like as 'gay' is something I find extremely offensive as much as patently absurd. Using 'gay' to describe a film doesn't make much sense, unless, of course, it's a movie about homosexuality. And it's sometimes used as a slur to describe things that have even less connection to sexuality - for example, cars. While I don't automatically bristle at such inappropriate use of 'gay,' there are some times I've said things like, 'No, that's not gay... the gay people I know have better taste than that!'

User Detail :  

Name : Matt-C21993, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Covington, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ed C.
    Participant
    I don't think they are necessarily homophobic as much as they are just unthinking or ignorant/unaware. Recently my students did debates and argued in favor of same-sex marriage. Later in the hall I heard one of those students say 'Oh man, that is so gay.' When I asked him about it, you could literally see the connections being made inside his head. He had no feeling or thought about gay people whenever he was saying something was 'gay'.

User Detail :  

Name : Ed C., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

joe-mccormick30594
    Participant
    so what?

User Detail :  

Name : joe-mccormick30594, City : cameron, State : MO Country : United States, 

joe-mccormick
    Participant
    fairy,tinkerbell,sissy la la are better terms

User Detail :  

Name : joe-mccormick, City : cameron, State : MO Country : United States, 

Andy23937
    Participant
    The sad fact is that most people don't care what the gay/dumb/deaf/black (insert minority group)person feels because they are a minority. U will find that it is generally people of low self-esteem that have to belittle others and, as always, its the minority that 'cops it'.

User Detail :  

Name : Andy23937, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

David Pickrum
    Participant
    'Am I too sensitive, or more sensitive than even the 'victims' would be? Upon reading your post I would say yes. The comment does not affect you directly in the context of heresay, someone else describing a movie. Yes it is always correct to avoid 'political correctness' due to the fact that you are being nice without being nice. You cannot be brutally honest but you can phrase it such a way as to be truthful. If the film was 'gay' as stated what was wrong with the description as such. There are no 'victims' to the truth.

User Detail :  

Name : David Pickrum, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : British, Polish, Spanish, Muscolero Apache, Religion : Christian, Age : 48, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A. Jacobi
    Participant
    I grew up in Indiana where 'Gay' is used as an insult (That is what I think the original poster is talking about). Examples 'That movie was gay.' The speaker did not go to a movie where two men kissed each other. The speaker was using 'gay' to mean : stupid, lame, dumb, boring, etc. I confronted a cousin about this usage. However, if the movie was 'gay themed' then what else would you call it except 'gay?' In that aspect the meaning is descriptive reather than derogatory.

User Detail :  

Name : A. Jacobi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Alexandria, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

abbo27
    Participant
    What in general do you find so frightening about political correctness which is in essence about respect? Comparing it's affect to the death and maiming of hundreds of thousands of US citizens seems more than a little extreme. It wasn't that long ago that people were making the case that black and white kids should be educated together was political correctness gone mad. Political correctness can sometimes jar. I find Christmas cards being replaced with Happy Holiday cards annoying and I am an atheist. I don't think being a little sensitive does any real harm and in a lot of cases does a lot of good.

User Detail :  

Name : abbo27, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 39, City : Bristol, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Exton
    Participant
    No, you're not being too sensitive. It's a good thing that you are concerned about the acceptance and well being of others! I also used to share this concern. I no longer do, though, for this reason: language changes. Certainly that's not an excuse in and of itself, but it is the way in which the word has changed that leads me to cease being sensitive to the matter. Gay used to mean happy. Then it meant homosexuality. Now it has taken on the connotation of dumb or ridiculous. Just the first transition alone is enough for the word to lose alot of meaning for me, and with the third one, I just don't care as much. It's important to keep in mind that the word has genuinly taken on a new meaning, even though the origins of this meaning are derogatory. When i use it in a negative manner, i personnally do not have homosexual people in mind. And then there is yet another thing that comes to mind...as a straight happy person, should I be upset that homosexuals call themselves gay? No, of course not. Language changes, that's just the way these things go.

User Detail :  

Name : Exton, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : nontheist, Age : 18, City : Medway, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.