Am I gay if I am around gay people?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    I spend a majority of my free time with homosexual people. Others take this to mean I am gay, but I am not. Would it be out of the question to just stop hanging out with these people, or should I just ignore what people are saying?

User Detail :  

Name : A questioning person, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Lasing, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Mike
    Participant
    Does friendship mean so little to you that you are willing to end it because of what others think? I would hope you are not that shallow of a person.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Ben Lomand, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

dave
    Participant
    I am prejudiced against homos and have no problem saying it. I think the whole fact of two guys or girls making out in public is utterly gross. If people want to practice homosexuality, they should do it in a private place. However, you should hang out with whomever you want. No one is going to stop you.

User Detail :  

Name : dave, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Have ADHD, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Higganum, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarah-C28153
    Participant
    You're most certainly not gay just because the majority of your friends are. And why would you want to stop hanging out with those who make you happy, just to please those who make you unhappy? By the way, do you mean gay men or gay women? For dozens of reasons, many straight women love being around gay men. Trust me on that one.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah-C28153, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 25, City : San Francisco area, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

John
    Participant
    If I didn't have my heterosexual friends supporting me during high school, I don't know what I would have done. I think that by losing your gay friends, you would be letting small-minded people judge your social life. If you like a person, whether gay or straight, it doesn't matter what their sexual orientation is. I really do respect straight people who support gays and lesbians.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Tor
    It's hard to ignore the things people say about you, but if a homosexual hangs out with straight people, that doesn't mean he or she is straight. Sexual orientation doesn't mean you hang out with gays/bis/lesbians, it means you are gay/bi/lesbian. My advice is that if someone says you're gay, say, 'Sure, that's why I've got a boyfriend.' Don't let people call you out of a closet you're not in.

User Detail :  

Name : Tor, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Age : 15, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

James D.
    Your decision rests on whether you believe you should live your life according to your own beliefs and morality, or someone else's. There will always be people who disapprove of you and want you to choose between being true to yourself or bowing to their wishes. Every adult must decide for him or herself which is the right thing to do in a given situation. Associating with gay people does not make one gay, any more than associating with people of a different race or sex or religion would. Some people judge others by their friends, but that says something about the judgers, not the judged.

User Detail :  

Name : James D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 47, City : Summit, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Jessica
    Participant
    You are who you are, and your friends are who they are. Homosexuality is not defined by who you hang out with; it's defined by who you're attracted to sexually. If people think you're gay because you have gay friends, they are ignorant - and do you really care what ignorant people think?

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tom24115
    Participant
    Where is your comfort level? Hanging with gay people who have a record of friendship, comfort and pleasure, or being friends with others who are going to talk badly about you no matter what you do? If others wonder why you are friends with gay people, invite them along to see the good time. If they are not interested, let them go their own way. There will always be critics who will wonder why you do what you do. No matter. Enjoy your pleasure, love, intimacy and stimulation where you find it.

User Detail :  

Name : Tom24115, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 50, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, 

Don
    Participant
    If I hang out with women, am I a woman? If I hang out with left-handed people, am I a lefty? Tell these other people to drop dead. I do. If you are comfortable and the people you hang out with are comfortable, then let it be.

User Detail :  

Name : Don, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 31, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michele
    Participant
    No, you should not stop hanging out with them. Gay people can be some of the most sensitive, empathetic, joyful friends a straight person can have. They have usually had hard lives and are open-minded, so they're good listeners and will talk to you about anything. You should ignore people who accuse you of being gay by association, because they are just ignorant. And besides, there are much worse things I can think of being accused of than being gay - like being a bad friend or letting other people make my decisions for me. Take it from someone who's been there, done that and cherishes the gay friends she has in her life.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 32, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Reservationist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

James D.
    Even though you chose to respond to this question by proudly expressing your prejudice and disgust, I applaud your conclusions. Perhaps as you grow older you will become more reflective and think more carefully about the subject of homosexuality, but for now it is enough for me that you acknowledge its existence and more, its right to exist without interference. Oh, and by the way, some people are disgusted by the relatively new disability you have, ADHD, preferring to think of it as a behaviorial issue rather than a human condition. Interesting prejudice, don't you think?

User Detail :  

Name : James D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 47, City : Summit, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Matthew
    Participant
    What would Jesus do?

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Shiloh
    Participant
    Homosexuality isn't somthing that rubs off on you like lotion. It's a conscious choice people make. It takes a self-assured person to love people 'as is'. If these people are your friends, then cherish a valuable thing. Your info says you are a Christian; this means 'Christ Like' and He said to love your neighbor as yourself in Luke 10:20. Would you want them to stop hanging around with you just because you're Christian? On the other hand, it's an oxymoron to call oneself a gay/lesbian Christian. Keep in mind 'Christ Like,' He was definitely not gay.

User Detail :  

Name : Shiloh, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : USAF, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matt R.
    Participant
    You're correct in saying that it isn't something that rubs off, but it is most certainly not a conscious choice. Just like it's not a conscious choice for someone to be tall or left-handed, these characteristics also cannot rub off. Being gay is something that a person is or is not born with, and is not 'contagious' so to speak. (In fact, it would be a good idea to note that it would have to be a choice in order to 'rub off', as a fashion or some other fad does - but it's not. Religion, on the other hand, is a choice and can be spread and given up just as easily.) Also, a 'gay Christian' is not an oxymoron - there are plenty of gay/lesbian organizations of all religions. If I were to say that an 'open-minded Christian' was an oxymoron, that would be just as incorrect.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt R., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : Edison, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.